1x9 Cross

I’m thinking of taking my ss crosscheck and added some gears in the back for racering and wanted to know how people deal with the shifters. Is one brake sti? Thumbshifter? Bar end shifter? Downtube shifter? Etc. Any advantage to anything? Thanks,

the gza

I’ve seen people run a bar end shifter on the one side. I don’t even think you could use a thumb shifter without some kind of modifications due to the different bar diameters.

I use bar ends. I would like to switch to a campy10->shimano9 cassette + fake ergo left though. Down tube would really suck and bar end isn’t great. I caught my shin on mine last season vaulting over the bars and it was pretty nasty.

i’ve seen a few bar-end shifter as well, but i think i’d prefer to have a brifter up front and a dummy lever on the left side, same as dutret.

I used a 9-speed 105 brifter in the front and a Tektro dummy lever on the left, as in this photo.

Worked pretty well, I thought. I’m just going to move to an eighteen-speed drivetrain this year, though. I’ve already got my left lever on, I’m just waiting for some free time to build it up.

How did those two levers feel together? My wife just got an F1X and wants to set it up 1x10, we are trying to decide between leaving the brifter on for feel or doing a lever like that for weight savings.

I run a Brifter/dummy combo on my hillclimb bike. At first the different hoods felt weird but I got over it and didn’t notice after a while.

[quote=“bonechilling”]I used a 9-speed 105 brifter in the front and a Tektro dummy lever on the left, as in this photo.

Worked pretty well, I thought. I’m just going to move to an eighteen-speed drivetrain this year, though. I’ve already got my left lever on, I’m just waiting for some free time to build it up.[/quote]

Do you ever actually use the inline lever for the rear? I’m considering a similar set-up on my Steamroller.

It felt pretty imbalanced at first, but I got used to it quickly. Unfortunately, Shimano still fails to consider ergonomics on their traditional aero brake levers, so there’s nothing out there that really matches the feel of a Shimano brifter out there.

Only in “OH SHIT!” situations, or long downhill (not racing), but those were few and far between. Still, I think it’d be ugly without the rear lever.

Paul Thumbies would do the trick. They are mounts that convert bar end shifters to thumb shifters and they come in a nice variety of road and mountain clamp diameters.

i avoided the different hood feel by just running a brifter on the left w/ no dérailleur cable attached. currently i’m trying to find some levers for my SS setup that are as comfy (to me) as my old DA brifters.

I eventually went that way, but I realize that with the extra weight of the brifter, I might as well add another hundred grams and just run the damn thing with two chainrings.

^^^agreed. i had a single ring setup moreso for the novelty and simplicity of it + i was never using my big ring during races.

cool, thanks for the answers

On an semi-related note, I somehow managed to lose the Michelin Mud cross tires you see in that photo. How does someone lose tires?

^^^ dunno. i have some green ones… they’re much harder to lose. :wink:

Did you check in the fridge? When I can’t find the remote, it’s often in the fridge.

I have a bar end shifter on my 1X9. A brifter would be nice, but it works just fine for me. I don’t race it though.