2020: A Year that Included Bikes

All tubeless with no flats.

3 Likes

Did a bikepacking in January. Feels like that was ten years ago. May have had the 'rona while doing it, but the oral steroids had my legs feeling great!

Here’s my unloaded bike on a detour at the Mexican border:

14 Likes

Good:

• Sicc wheels for my Nord. Completion of heavily dithered DA-SON set feels great.
  • Got way better at randoing quick and smooth. Super low effort, but fast times for my whole series. I just got inspired by riding with a local who competes in the world 24 hour time trial championships and seeing how steady and easy she takes it.
  • Got better at time crunched cyclist training.
  • I know my own neighborhood way better from covid riding.
  • Xtracycling is just so fun. Super happy we got that thing

Bad:

• Way way less kms now that i wfh. Like 50 percent less.
6 Likes

Good:

• Got roof racks for sup’s car (and sup got a car)
  • Saved a bunch of money living with sup’s parents over the summer
  • Got to see my folks a few times
  • Moved back to LA without many hurdles
  • Picked up a new (old) programming language and some good work experience
  • Finally got to try modafinil which is working wonders for my depression demotivation
  • Found out today that I am retroactively eligible for PUA
  • Qualified for MediCal

Bad:

• Very underemployed, living off student loans
  • Less than 500 miles on the bike this year
  • Will be wrapping my AS in CS next year 3.5 months later than expected
  • Still no vision insurance
  • Feeling too stressed out to let myself do anything but study programming, household chores, general hygiene, or eating, in that order. Still not doing enough actual fingers-to-keyboard work to make anything stick well.
7 Likes

Good:

• Managed to get 1200+ miles in this year, with few commutes and no motivation to speak of
  • Got the dog out for a ride in the trailer after 3 years of trailer ownership
  • Hauled a bejesusload of furniture on trailer
  • Endo’d in the first mile of my first ride after a broken jaw, got back on and kept riding because it didn’t hurt and I needed the ride
  • Joined a 10k-strong protest ride from Harlem to the Battery, took over the West Side Highway
  • Rode the whole length of Broadway in peak pandemic eerietimes
  • Caught a lot of sunrises on the bike
  • Saw an owl on Northerly Island riding at dusk

Bad

• No time/money/space for dithering, something i really enjoy
  • Left uptown Manhattan having only scratched the surface of the great road rides / trails available from there
  • Ditched a bike I liked on the curb b/c slightly broken and no room in moving van; now don’t have a road bike
  • Came back to pancake land (which I love, but) which doesn’t have any climbs at all
  • Basically never rode with anyone else
8 Likes

Good:

• Got into birding, which made me spend more time outside and ride to all sorts of places
  • This year was the most I ever rode bikes since moving to New York - Manhattan was empty
  • GF bought a SS for NYC and a touring bike for touring and was actually a good cycling companion
  • Other friends got into bikes. NYC’s adequate public transportation and distinct seasons mean most people don’t ride bikes, unlike other places I’ve lived
  • Got to tour the American West again. Last year I thought serious riding was a thing of the past for me due to knee injuries, but it was fine

Bad:

• I had left two of my bikes in an unfinished basement and a lot of things oxidized and failed in weird ways I could have never imagined
  • Broke up with bike GF, now seeing someone less outdoorsy
  • Haven’t sold it yet but decided to part with the sweet fixie
10 Likes

I bought 3 frames and am in the process of modifying them different ways

I started riding the trainer

4 Likes

Tell us about this bike tour. Photos and such!