2022 in bikes

wait is this an one-wheel Bob or a full baby hauler?

one wheel Yak

2 Likes

Definitely following.

Likewise. Got my first plastic bike and first disc road bike this year and I’m really digging it. Still loving robot shifting. Went from mech GRX on my gravel bike to Di2 GRX on the new one and I really appreciate the fact that it shifts perfectly all the time.

I feel pretty comfortable with the amount of proprietary lock-in vs. the ease of use.

3 Likes

I did an unplanned but not out of character lean in to deadenderism this year. Of three new bikes built up, only one had indexing and discs (Polyvalent). The other two had rim brakes and either friction (Riv of most refined taste) or single speed (old Stumpjumper). The old day ruiner started out the year with drop bars and wet discs, then finished up the year with cable discs, friction, and Oxford bars, and it’s great and pretty sure it’s been ridden more since then than it had been up to that point since it was built up in spring of 2018.

The number of drop bar bikes continued its decline from 4-5 in 2018 to one at the end of this year, and that bike hasn’t been ridden at all in 19 months. Pretty sure I haven’t ridden any drop bars this year at all (so far).

Non-commuting recreational rides were almost non-existent this year, which was all on me, and that kind of sucked. Hoping for a better 2023.

3 Likes

BIKES 2022!
This year has been a real fun bike year for me despite the fact that I’ve gone on zero long recreational rides. Getting Ro acclimated to riding the bullitt in all weather has been really gratifying and seeing how many people drop off their kids at his school on bikes makes me feel like I might actually not be a weird social pariah amidst all the parents at the school who I’m apparently expected to socialize with. Riding all around town with Roli has been the highlight for sure, especially when he asks to ride the bike instead of drive even when it’s cold or rainy.
I replaced the electric internal gears on my Bullitt with cable actuated, external gears and replaced the horrible OE brakes with good shimano brakes, learning all about servicing shimano hydros in the process.
I rebuilt my Clydesdale and think I’ve finally got it dialed as of this morning.
I put flat bars and a 139 basket on my Endpoint and it became my favorite non-cargo bike ever.
I’ve logged 603 rides on strava.
Distance: 4,247.3 miles
Elevation: 37,995 feet
Not too shabby for a flatlander who doesn’t go on “rides”.

13 Likes

dang i miss commutting. i don’t think i cracked 1k outside miles. maybe 1.5

2 Likes

I think all I did this year was commuting. Going to end up just shy of 2300 miles. I’ve mixed up my routes some so it’s not super monotonous. Part of me wishes I could be out exploring on weekends but I kinda feel like I’ve seen everything I want to see here and I’d rather spend that time working on cooking projects. Guess that explains my weight right now lol

What does suck is that I ended up putting like 40% of my miles on the ebike conversion. Which was good but I didn’t really expand my riding zone or miles with it. Doubt that’s going to change on 2023 as the baby arrives

6 Likes

Got back into cycling this summer
Decided to build a new bike from scratch, made a lot of mistakes, learned more
wish I got more miles in but I am happy cycling is back in my life

15 Likes

2022 in bikes for me:

The good:

• Worked in a shop all year, learned a lot about how to touch bikes good, especially in the realms of modern/squishy components. Big mental health boost over wfh internet job, even when shit has been stressful due to big corpo buyout of the shop.
  • Rode a modern squishy mtb a lot, it was fun and made me better at less-squishy bikes. Cool side effect that I hadn’t anticipated.
  • Did some crits! They are sketchy but not as sketchy as I thought they’d be. The only road racing I’ve ever done. Probably won’t do more but it was a cool thing to try.
  • Did some single speed cross races! Again basically first time. Very fun. Will probably do more.
  • Feeling more connected to local bike folks, riding with the people I want to ride with. Was pretty consistent with riding as much as possible, at least in terms of short stuff around town.
  • Finally getting my bike stable to a place I’m almost happy with. All the bikes I like and want to keep actually fit me, maybe for the first time ever. Deciding first what I want to ride and building bikes to do it has been a very good way to get the most out of these silly machines.

The bad:

• Strapped bags and camping gear to my bike… I think not a single time? I had big plans to do some big trips and I don’t think I did any of them. Kind of a bummer after spending almost three months doing the opposite last year.
  • Corpo buyout of shop I work at, turns out all those 90’s movies were right, corporations are bad, kids. Who knew.

2023:

• Hopefully more trips! Balancing around-town shredding, trips to the Blue Ridge, and multi-day adventures is the goal.
  • Maybe shop life evens out or changes in some positive way?
13 Likes

I saw this thread exists and i had kind of ignored it, but today i was feeling like doing a photo summary of my 2022 in bikes:

Waited out a lot of sup’s flat tire changes.

Went to moab again

Built up a silly/awesome hybrid

Mtb’d with zig before he hurt his leg and was out for the summer

Camped and rode in Breck

Went on my first bike packing trip

Rode up to the top of A-basin and down Lenawee trail, as is a summer tradition.

Camped and rode in Crested butte where we both came down with covid. The flies were out of control. The scenery was incredible, as is expected.

Lots of bike park days

Did not race leadville, but went on the shake down ride and worked at the booth.

Went up to the top of kenosha/georgia pass all by myself

Went on some cute date rides with sup

More cute rides and jumps with my dude

All said

• 2,089.4 mi
  • 228,468 ft of gain
  • 212h 35m of ride time

Hoping for a lot more of the same in 2023.

20 Likes

dude’s face in the flat tire photo is astoundingly spot on

1 Like

we tried like 3 bacon strips all stuck in there to no avail.

1 Like

Need to replace my daily driver rtp’s. I get the Jan hate but I’m not gonna find anything else that doesn’t disappoint am I ?

Just do the hot dog and move it to the soupless thread

1 Like

I thought I was in the soupless thread after spending 20 mins trying to remember what it was called

So close!!

1 Like

as good a place as any atmo. how are your jeans doing?

11 Likes

blueberries are purple anyway. and before y’all mfs say “orange” the fruit came first