A documentary about touring: . . .

Say two guys go on month long bike tour through England (a place they’ve never been) next summer what kind of shit would you want to see? The dudes will have camera equipment and shit so they might as well make a movie

messenger bags
sick skidz

mike beauchamp put together a fantastic documentary or whatever you want to call it.

http://www.mikebeauchamp.com/crosscanada/

it’s worth a look.

thanx bro

[quote=pirate]messenger bags
sick skidz[/quote]
this and brakeless NJS bikes for agilities in the mountains

yo, just a feeler to gauge interest in a documentary on me taking a shit on film (something i’ve never done). i am open to requests. i already have a camera, so there’s no reason to not make and distribute videos of me doing mundane things.

hey hey hey don’t be a dick.
documentary filmmaking is a career i am pursuing. I’m likely going to be in england next summer shooting something else, and have alloted time for myself to ride my bike through the country. I will have a camera because I am shooting something else. I might as well film my bike adventure because I like doing both things.
i’m curious what people would want to see because I might as well try to find some financial backing to do it
ayhsmb

I want to see the stuff that is usually glossed over like cooking dinner and repairing the bikes and how shitty some days can be. I’ve always thought it would be cool to do a series of shorts of cooking while on tour. Cooking cool stuff with only a few pots and a single stove. Talk about the food with some talking with local people fitted in.

It would be fun to see the places you camp/ stay each night with some footage of getting there. If you could give an accurate representation of life on the road on a bicycle, it would be fun to watch. I think you know better than to try and push for the “extreme” or “epic” angles.

Also, if you just did a documentary about food on the road, I would watch it.

not trying to be a dick but
to be honest,
have little to no interest in watching this.

no doubt you will have a great time though.

[quote=deadforkinglast]It would be fun to see the places you camp/ stay each night with some footage of getting there. If you could give an accurate representation of life on the road on a bicycle, it would be fun to watch. I think you know better than to try and push for the “extreme” or “epic” angles.

Also, if you just did a documentary about food on the road, I would watch it.[/quote]
word, there is nothing extreme or epic about riding through fucking England. The food idea is great Kyle, that’s the kind of stuff I’m interested in. Taking something small and using it to show a larger underlying story. I’m really into Les Blank films if that tells you anything about the kind of approach I’d take

next time you ask someone for their opinion, let them know you’re only interested in confirming what you want to believe.

so harsh

would be interested in a tarck threadblog.

If you do this, please, please, please do not make it some overdramatic self-indulgent masturbation fest like 99.9999% of the ‘edits’ seen in bicycle media these days. Just something simple, straightforward, down-to-earth and humble showing a couple guys having fun whilst getting around, not doing anything unique or special or “epic”, just enjoying life and the fact they can go tour wherever for a while and be stoked about it. That would be so fucking refreshing.

I don’t know if you’ve seen any of this series, but maybe take a page from the way Wonders of the Solar System with Brian Cox is done: awesome natural beauty set against an enthusiastic person eager to learn about the mysteries of our world.

rapid fire MTV-style editing
shoot it stereoscopically and include bear-shaped 3d glasses
soundtrack produced by the RZA
get your buddy to follow along on a moped to film you
run every light

I would be interested in watching this for more than 15 minutes if you can cobble together some kind of story thread. It doesn’t have to be an overbearing story arc, but character advancement is always good to see. But don’t force it, either.

I’ve heard stories (dunno if it’s true) that Annie Hall was a murder mystery until they totally re-edited it into a romantic comedy. Think along those lines. Find elements that made the trip worthwhile and really enhance those.

[quote=littletinyfish]I would be interested in watching this for more than 15 minutes if you can cobble together some kind of story thread. It doesn’t have to be an overbearing story arc, but character advancement is always good to see. But don’t force it, either.

I’ve heard stories (dunno if it’s true) that Annie Hall was a murder mystery until they totally re-edited it into a romantic comedy. Think along those lines. Find elements that made the trip worthwhile and really enhance those.[/quote]

I think what littletinyfish is getting at is, be sure to make mundane bike tour footage into murder mystery. Only way to go.

you know how dull it is to see pictures and videos from other people’s vacations?

yeah.

don’t do it, semi-professionally filming your tour.

I personally enjoy watching other people on tape if there is an understandable story that extends beyond inside knowledge. If the story is just the tour, thats fine. Think about all those books that are just travelogues of people riding their bikes across places. Do that but on film.