A fake, maybe?

So I was just browsing ebay when I came across this listing for an Phil Wood special edition track bike made by Independent Fabrications:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150271140665

Considering that this is the Phil Wood Piss Off, and that Piss Off stands for Phil Independent Single Speed Off Road I think this might be a tarp

wait…is that an audi R8 in the background of the 1st picture? I didn’t even know you could purchase those yet…

anyway, it is not unreasonable to assume that they might have made several single speed road bikes, and that this is one of them, but it does seem odd that he wouldn’t have a good explanation of how he got one of them. might be a trap.

Yup that’s an R8. Not sure how long they’ve been out, but I’ve seen a handful on the streets around here over the past few months.

they’ve been out for close to a year now. i’ve seen one on the road in town, and a couple in houston. they sound like pure sex.

Oh, OOOoohh! OOohhh, Yes, GO! GO!! GO, AHhh! OOOOOOOOhhh!!!

you’d think phil would make a nicer headbadge. the paint under it (on the yellow) looks pretty jank too.

Also, the head badge is attached with screws in the first one as opposed to rivets on the second.

email phil wood and ask

it looks like who ever attached the headbadge with the screws is a rather hamfisted dolt

indeed

That’s got to be a fake. I sent an email to IF, just to confirm it.

Did anyone else see the IF crown logo on the seatstay bridge? It’s there. To me it kind of looks like someone had this IF frame repainted (by a hamfisted dolt) which would explain the head badge screws. Wether or not it is actually some phil wood special edition is another story altogether. I’m sure CKD will enlighten us once he hears from IndyFab.

I totally overlooked that. If you don’t zoom in on it, it just looks like shitty paint orange peel bubble crap.

The auction doesn’t say it’s a PISS OFF. Only the headset cap says that.

True enough. I pointed that out because aside from the poorly attached head badge, it’s the only thing to suggest that this has anything to do with PW.

Email -

[quote]Hey Derek,

This is an interesting question. With the IF engraving on the seatstay bridge, it looks like it is indeed one of our bikes. I just checked with Joe and he and I aren’t aware of a Phil Wood track bike. It has the Piss-Off top cap over the stem, and the Piss-Off is the MTB. Perhaps it was repainted and done up in Phil Wood parts as a theme. Or maybe we actually did put that together at some point. I’m curious now though… I’ll ask Lloyd.

On another note, I wonder if the Audi R8 behind it comes with the bike?

Best,
Kevin [/quote]

Those screws on the headbadge look a lot like spoke nipples to me. Or I’m just retahded and they are just some other weird screw with a hole down the center.

[quote=“crushkilldestroy”]Email -

[quote]Hey Derek,

This is an interesting question. With the IF engraving on the seatstay bridge, it looks like it is indeed one of our bikes. I just checked with Joe and he and I aren’t aware of a Phil Wood track bike. It has the Piss-Off top cap over the stem, and the Piss-Off is the MTB. Perhaps it was repainted and done up in Phil Wood parts as a theme. Or maybe we actually did put that together at some point. I’m curious now though… I’ll ask Lloyd.

Best,
Kevin [/quote][/quote]

everyone loves the R8.

also, is the fork on backwards on the yellow track bike?

[quote=“jim”][quote=“crushkilldestroy”]Email -

[quote]Hey Derek,

Best,
Kevin [/quote][/quote]

everyone loves the R8.

also, is the fork on backwards on the yellow track bike?[/quote]
Until it catches fire.

Yes, yes it is on backwards. You know those old time photos of track bikes with backwards forks? It’s like that except not.