A nice deal on some nice wheels

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=47

Is this place legit?
I was planning on picking up a set (or two) of the open pro/ultegra wheels for a crosscheck build.

[quote=“daedelus”]Is this place legit?
I was planning on picking up a set (or two) of the open pro/ultegra wheels for a crosscheck build.[/quote]

Ya know, I’m not 100% sure. Their certificate seems sketch.

Not that this really helps. but I do personally know a guy who ordered a wheel from them and did receive it. When he got it, it really wasn’t built too well, tension was sort of all over the place. but he did get it.

despite that, I wouldn’t be terribly willing to give personal info to a site with a bad certificate

[quote=“sam”]Not that this really helps. but I do personally know a guy who ordered a wheel from them and did receive it. When he got it, it really wasn’t built too well, tension was sort of all over the place. but he did get it.

despite that, I wouldn’t be terribly willing to give personal info to a site with a bad certificate[/quote]

Hell, for the price, I would be happy if they just sent me a box of unassembled parts. In fact, I wish these budget wheelset places would start doing that, since they practically have to be rebuilt anyway. Just send out a wheel kit and I’ll do it myself.

Could someone explain what is wrong with the certificate? Firefox just says that it “cannot be verified for unknown reasons”, and I can’t glean anything from looking at it.

The place is legitish. Like every budget shop you need a real retension of the spokes when you get them in.

[quote=“daedelus”][quote=“sam”]
Could someone explain what is wrong with the certificate? Firefox just says that it “cannot be verified for unknown reasons”, and I can’t glean anything from looking at it.[/quote][/quote]

Safari states “This certificate was signed by an unknown authority”.

Despite what they claim, these are all machine-built wheels. It can’t possibly be a coincidence that they offer the exact same rim/spoke/hub combinations as J&B sells out of their catalog (machine made wheels, trued by hand in Miami sweatshops), and the same sets as all the other online wheels shops (which all swear they build by hand) sell. I haven’t seen the 7850s available yet, but I haven’t glanced at the catalog lately. They’re probably coming to market about now.

Dura Ace hubs are a very poor value. Their performance is absolutely no better than Ultegra or 105, and unless you’re lacing them to Zipps or another carbon rim, the weight difference between the lower end hubs and DA is totally irrelevant. This wheelset is such a vastly better deal that the Dura Ace hardly warrants mentioning.

Yeah, I ended up buying the Ultegras yesterday.

[quote=“bonechilling”]Despite what they claim, these are all machine-built wheels. It can’t possibly be a coincidence that they offer the exact same rim/spoke/hub combinations as J&B sells out of their catalog (machine made wheels, trued by hand in Miami sweatshops), and the same sets as all the other online wheels shops (which all swear they build by hand) sell. I haven’t seen the 7850s available yet, but I haven’t glanced at the catalog lately. They’re probably coming to market about now.

Dura Ace hubs are a very poor value. Their performance is absolutely no better than Ultegra or 105, and unless you’re lacing them to Zipps or another carbon rim, the weight difference between the lower end hubs and DA is totally irrelevant. This wheelset is such a vastly better deal that the Dura Ace hardly warrants mentioning.[/quote]

lol… that miami sweatshop isn’t that bad… i’ve been there plenty-o-times.

Good choice.

Really? An old friend of mine I grew up riding with works for J&B down there now, and he says it’s a real pit. We’re talking multiple rented houses with no air conditioning, where immigrants with little or no English skills build bicycle wheels for $5 an hour in total squalor. Maybe J&B cleaned up its act, or maybe he exaggerated, but it definitely put me off buying just about anything from them.

I bought wheels from them and was really impressed with their service. Dude called me up after placing the order to tell me they had a wheel built up very similar that was a tad of an upgrade and asked if I would prefer that or not. I jumped on it and snagged me some XTs for my mtb.

Awesome. I’m glad this place is trustworthy.

I’ll be getting some Ultegras as soon as I sell my BFSSFG IRO.

“hand finished” is the marketing term.

qbp’s wheels are built essentially the same way, but i think they have pasty caucasians in MN truin them up.

and both the ultegra and durace wheels suck. alloy nipples suck.

I am reviving this old thread to note that bicycle wheel warehouse is not only legit, it is a great retailer.
I ordered a set of the ultegra/open pro wheels on Sunday and I just got them today (Thursday). They arrived well packed, including rim tape and skewers and they are reasonably well built (though I plan to check them with a tensionmeter). They even threw in a free bottle. Also, for those that might be worried about the certificate issue, they accept paypal, so you don’t even have to give them any personal information.
A+ for BWW :bear:

Yes, I’m enjoying mine as well.

Likewise for my XTs. Love the wheels. Loved the service. All new wheels I’ll be getting thru them.