A safe space to complain about jackass humans

If we didn’t have piles of garbage on the sidewalks they would just fill up with more tourists

7 Likes

Nothing quite like a hot day in downtown NY with the narrow crowded sidewalks 50% occupied by giant bags of rotting food waste

3 Likes

like this

Seinfeld episode job.

3 Likes

Does anything actually get recycled in NYC?
A guy I know from work who’s our trash/streets and san contact told me in confidence that NOTHING that goes in the city’s blue recycling carts actually gets recycled and it’s been that way since 2015. :colbert:

We got rid of composting and public school teachers so we could fund more cops.

4 Likes

Time to vote in some Democr…oh.

1 Like

There is no way anyone sorts out the mess that gets left on the curb in the clear bags

They are just giving people a ritual to preform so they don’t riot while the world burns

2 Likes

plus you can generate revenue via enforcement

So we can afford more cops

1 Like

yeah that sounds plausible

“real” recycling requires pretty pure waste streams - either via a detailed amount of sorting at the trash-generation level that Americans absolutely will not put up with, or via a huge expenditure of manual labor at the recycling facility.

I’d be at least a little surprised if they didn’t try to sort out and recycle the aluminum cans and maybe glass, but the plastic and paper is probably going straight to a landfill.

Recycling is a mostly a scam here downunda, people were too lazy to decheese their pizza boxes so they just ship it all to China to get burnt

contrary to council guidance, paper recyclers insist that cheesy boxes are no problem.

99% certain that all soft plastic collection here ends up in landfill.

Around here, pizza boxes and carryout that’s cardboard go in the yard debris to break down with yard waste.

4 Likes

china stopped accepting americas recycling a few years back iirc. i think you could get the valuable stuff out with electromagnets but yeah you’re kidding yourself with much else

Our corrupt garbage monopolist has a
Very expensive sorter that uses “electric eyes” and sorts recycling with puffs of air. Don’t know if that means it actually gets recycled or if it just sits on various pallets for while until it gets buried.

1 Like

We just send our shit to Portland and they deal with it. I waste a lot of time cleaning and sorting but I’m sure it’s all landfill bound.

Does our shit actually get recycled? We sort ours and try, but the recycling dumpster is conveniently located for people to throw anything in it.