Aero wheelset for track use

As I start planning next years race season I am thinking of giving one of the more “affordable” aero wheelsets a try. At this point all i know for sure is I want Tubular! Disc- 3/4 spoke- deep section rims I am open to all of them! Any suggestions?

These look ok. and the price is decent, anyone have experience with them? and despite what it says there is a tub available on the tri-spoke http://www.lickbike.com/sectionsublist.aspx?SECTION=‘0015’&SUBSECTION=‘150’&SECTIONNAME=‘Wheels’&SUBSECTIONNAME=‘RACING%20WHEEL%20SETS’

This one is probably too much $$$: but it is way lighter than the other options

These are right on budget- maybe not aero enough???

Both Here

Or maybe these?

I am leaning towardsthese They seam like you could use them in more situations than a disc…??? and the price is right where I want to be…

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I don’t know from aero wheels, but I do know that lickbike kinda sucks.
I ordered a pair of shoes from them and then after two weeks and no action I finally called them and they told me the shoes were out of stock even though the website said otherwise.
I’d go somewhere else, personally.

you should have just went there.

I ride a Tri Spoke tubular on the track ad love it.

I’ve heard HED’s rear discs are sloppy and flexy on the track though; even my 130lb teammate was complaining about them.

[quote=“tarckatina”]I ride a Tri Spoke tubular on the track ad love it.

I’ve heard HED’s rear discs are sloppy and flexy on the track though; even my 130lb teammate was complaining about them.[/quote]
Thanks…
Who makes your Tri-Spoke?

I’m waiting for an excuse to own a real disc.

The hed discs may be a little flexy(the superlight may be worse) but they can be had for cheap and are pretty fast. Basically on a track you can use a disk for everything and probably should. I was running a hed3 front but I didn’t like it. I had some trouble controlling the bike possibly due to flex and it cost me a race. I’m using that cane creek now and I don’t think it’s quite as fast as the hed but I haven’t had the control issues.

If you have $1500 to spend get a used disc and a custom built zipp 620 front.

I’m selling the hed3 If you’re interested it’s pretty much brand new as is the tire and has the bolt on track axle and will be a lot cheaper than new without the hassle of looking… I didn’t like it though.

They’re out in the suburbs somewhere.
I got the same shoes at the LBS six blocks from where I work for the same price.
I was just unimpressed with the fact that the website said they had my size in stock and then when they didn’t they just kinda left me hanging, no call no email. Seemed kinda unprofessional to me. To their credit they cancled my order without any problems.

Lickbike charged me for a Brooks Swallow and sent me a Brooks Swift ($100 diff) they suck! But they fixed it! and they are cheap! NOW BACK ON TOPIC!

[quote=“Quinn8it”][quote=“tarckatina”]I ride a Tri Spoke tubular on the track ad love it.

I’ve heard HED’s rear discs are sloppy and flexy on the track though; even my 130lb teammate was complaining about them.[/quote]
Thanks…
Who makes your Tri-Spoke?[/quote]

Specialized.

Yep, my Hed disc is flexy as hell, so flexy that I think I’ll sell it before the next season. After I started running the disc, all my times decreased and I was finishing behind where I had been prior. I swapped it out for my traditional 3-cross rear wheel and was suddenly a second or more better on my flying laps.

Again, I had the same issue with flexing on a tri-spoke, two different ones, in fact. The first was an older Specialized/Hed 3, and the second was my even-older Zipp Eliminator, and both times I felt like I was about to lose control. This is coming from a 130 lbs riders, so that’s really saying something.

Next year, it’s going to be all traditionally-spoked for me. That’s why I want some of those Hpluson in a 24/28 tubular set up (or to win the lottery and buy some Zipps).

[quote]
Specialized.[/quote]
Isnt that rebranded HED3? And what do you run on front?

THATS HUGE! I am dying to get my 1/4 second back!

It’s not rebranded, Specialized used to own the patent for the tri-spoke design that Hed now produces as the Hed 3.

It was huge. I went from a good 22.something down to my worst time ever, two weeks in a row, of 24.some seconds. I never though I would see that much power loss due to stiffness of a wheel, but there it was. Obviously this is highly unscientific, but the rear wheel was the only thing that changed from week to week.

are you crazy? those things are for STREET USE ONLY

I thought you meant Flying 200’s

What are you talking? full flying lap on a 333?

Yeah, we don’t do Flying 200s, we do a full lap on the 333 1/3 track.

[quote=“Quinn8it”][quote]
Specialized.[/quote]
Isnt that rebranded HED3? And what do you run on front?[/quote]

1. what bonechilling said.
  2. the tri spoke IS my front wheel. i do a velocity escape tubular to DA for the rear.

i haven’t had too much a problem with my tri-spoke, though i haven’t ran a regular spoked tubular up front yet. i definitely felt faster riding the tubular tri-spoke vs. a clincher velocity fusion though. and a little flex was felt while standing up on it but never to the point where i felt like i was less in control. it would seem like a steeper track like alpenrose would put more force on a wheel as well…

damn, i was planning on getting a renn and just realized they dont make a track disk :frowning:

does anyone have anything to say about the campy pista wheelset?