affordable deep wheels?

are there any 700c deep rims that i can buy that don’t cost an arm and a leg?
im just looking for the rims tho (28H/32H)

ill probably just end up getting velocity deep-v

thanks,
Greg

weinmann dp-18

http://www.amazon.com/Weinmann-DP-18-Al ... B0013GAR62

sincerely,
Samuel

Weinnman DP-18.

Weinnman DP-18.

I seriously advise people to not get DP-18s.

1. they weigh a fucking ton. I think andre had a post where he put one on a scale…in any case- just a front weinnmann dp18 to ultegra weighs what feels like twice as much as my ultegra-open pro.

2. the rim seam sucks. when I first got mine, I sent it back because the seam was nearly a 1.5mm edge just hanging off of the rim. they sent me a new one that was like .75mm instead. I just said fuck it and built the wheel, but it sucks for front brakes, and looks unseemly. also, I think the glue that appears to have been used to hold the rim together is failing, because it is working itself apart.

Don’t like mine : /

[quote=“sam”]I seriously advise people to not get DP-18s.

1. they weigh a fucking ton. I think andre had a post where he put one on a scale…in any case- just a front weinnmann dp18 to ultegra weighs what feels like twice as much as my ultegra-open pro.

2. the rim seam sucks. when I first got mine, I sent it back because the seam was nearly a 1.5mm edge just hanging off of the rim. they sent me a new one that was like .75mm instead. I just said fuck it and built the wheel, but it sucks for front brakes, and looks unseemly. also, I think the glue that appears to have been used to hold the rim together is failing, because it is working itself apart.

Don’t like mine : /[/quote]
Mine are holding up so far.

They’re white. The white ones are like 99% more better though. Maybe it’s just me. Or the drunk wheels talking. They’re alright. I can pull the extra weight. tx_what_it_do’s Velo Veeps aren’t that much heavier.

They’re not that bad.
I have literally three pairs.

good deal. thanks guys :smiley:
those are a better price than the velocitys and theyre a tad bit bigger.

Fuck yeah. Besides. they come with ULTIMATE POWER. Velo veeps do not.

[quote=“FarAwayBoy”]They’re not that bad.
I have literally three pairs.[/quote]

Bah. I was hoping everyone would jump on my bandwagon. I guess this means I just have a shitty rim, which is an absolute possibility.

I’ve tried to decipher what the hell that means.

I have a set of white weinmann’s, they’re not that bad. They weigh a LITTLE bit more than my veep d’s and the weight is very obvious compared to non-deep rims.

710g on the Weinnman’s. I couldn’t find a heavier rim if I tried… do Shamal rims even weigh that much?

Just get Velocity Fusion or Mavic CXP33. I’m almost positive you’ll be happier in the long run, even if you may want super tarck bright color Deep V’s right now.

PS Haven’t ridden CXP 33’s myself but from what I hear they build into a very bombproof wheel, easily as strong as a Deep V @ a bit less weight.

honestly, im thinking more along the lines of something maybe 60mm deep…
like zipp or HED. but a little less expensive, maybe a brand that isnt as popular

if i could afford it, i would want to pick up a disk for the back and a 3/5 spoke or 80mm deep wheel for the front…
maybe eventually :slight_smile:

if im going to spend money on wheels, they might as well be fuckin intense.
if i cant find some insanely deep wheels, then i’ll probably just go with deepVs

keep in mind i do plan on going to the velodrome with this.
but its mainly for shreding on the street

http://hplusson.com/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/30185145@N04/

[quote=“GRHebard”]honestly, im thinking more along the lines of something maybe 60mm deep…
like zipp or HED. but a little less expensive, maybe a brand that isnt as popular

if i could afford it, i would want to pick up a disk for the back and a 3/5 spoke or 80mm deep wheel for the front…
maybe eventually :slight_smile:

if im going to spend money on wheels, they might as well be fuckin intense.
if i cant find some insanely deep wheels, then i’ll probably just go with deepVs

keep in mind i do plan on going to the velodrome with this.
but its mainly for shreding on the street[/quote]

Even if you do go to the 'drome, wheels like that wouldn’t make that much of a difference until upper categories anyway. In 4’s/5’s you can be on a rental bike but still kill the field based on fitness alone.

Anyways Planet X is about your only bet, it’ll run $200 a rim alone, and you’d be a fool to think that these wheels would be a) durable, b) easy to lock up with anything short of a chain lock or the kind of Kryptonite that you have to carry in a bag or c) nice to ride in the city (potholes and bad roads make deep, radially stiff wheels no fun because of how harsh the ride becomes vs. a lower profile build; a wheelset is a large determining factor on how much road vibration gets transmitted to the rest of the bike and the rider).

H+ SON

oh, you want “real” deep wheels. h+ son hands down

anyone here ride the h+son rims? i only see them just coming on the scene and havent heard about quality of ride.

They look like shit compared to velocitys, the paint chips off easily, they look like shit compared to velocitys, They’re affordable they look beter than plain rims and seem smoother to me over cheap non deep rims. Only buy them if your building a conversion or a pake iro fuji track bullshit. Otherwise buy velocitys if your building up a nice bike. other than that, i have a pair that ill be using for a while since i cant afford new wheels yet. i originally bought them planning to sell them on a conversion.