All things MTB (old)

It’s definitely tight on the standover on both of them, but seems to be ok when riding. Still more testing to do.

The first 2:10 is the best intro to any video ever made

Enjoyed the shit out of that!

I’m having difficulty understanding why someone would buy a Stumpjumper over a Jeffsy, unless the new suspension is better than sex. You get a hell of a lot more bike for your money with a way less evil company.

Because Specialized is a brand the average person has heard of.
And you can walk into a store, see one, test it, and buy it. Some people are still into that sort of thing.

The biggest complaint I hear about YTs is that the main pivot is behind the BB, where it is exposed to more grit (aka loam shelf). Most of the other frames have the pivot up out of the way.

Went back to Wenachee last weekend.
Did 8,000ft of climbing and descending in 24hrs.
Got the beta from some kids that this is really the only great time to ride there, and in about a month it will be a blown out dustbowl.
Xanadu was still great, but all the other trails there were also fantastic, really the most fun riding Ive done in Wa state, and some of the prettiest trails Ive ever been on.

the jeffsy is a really progressive trail bike, the leverage ratio decreases from about 3 to about 2 at the end of the stroke. By comparison, most specialized bikes are much more linear (leverage ratio stays pretty constant). A lot of riders like the more linear bikes for “using all of the travel” (more plush feeling, better for people who don’t plan on doing big hits or drops). The progressive nature of the jeffsy will typically work out better for heavier riders and hard chargers (may feel like a revelation since the only other frames that ramp up like that are usually dh bikes). A more linear platform might also be easier to tune for the general rider (easier to increase the progression of a shock compared to making more linear).

Yeah, the Jeffsy is a completely different bike than the normal, not short travel, Stumpjumper.

So Starling showed of this thing, appropriately named almost STORN aka the Sturn, on Bespoked in Bristol. Coz why not built a SS 29er Dh rig?

I’m surprised SS DH isn’t more of a thing. I used to know a bunch of park rats who just didn’t have drivetrains on their park bikes, which makes sense if you’re only riding it on lift assisted gravity trails while working for $10/hr. Not having a dangler, chain, etc could easily pay for upgrades on the rest of the bike, or rent, or beer/weed. Added benefit of forcing you to work on your pumping skills.

Also, I love all these hand made full squish steel bikes that have been bubbling up to the surface these past few years.

Yeah my friend “Demo-Björn” here in Åre rides his park whip, a SpecialEd Demo.
No chain, dangler, cassette, chainring, shifter. Still out runs pretty much any one up here, mad pumping/not braking skills.

Hell yeah. If you’re gonna grav you might as well own it.

the jeffsy is a really progressive trail bike, the leverage ratio decreases from about 3 to about 2 at the end of the stroke. By comparison, most specialized bikes are much more linear (leverage ratio stays pretty constant). A lot of riders like the more linear bikes for “using all of the travel” (more plush feeling, better for people who don’t plan on doing big hits or drops). The progressive nature of the jeffsy will typically work out better for heavier riders and hard chargers (may feel like a revelation since the only other frames that ramp up like that are usually dh bikes). A more linear platform might also be easier to tune for the general rider (easier to increase the progression of a shock compared to making more linear).[/quote]

Spec’s press at least claims their rear suspension is “more progressive”. The suspension guys I talked to said the leverage ratio got smaller throughout the travel, but i’m not sure by how much.

the jeffsy is a really progressive trail bike, the leverage ratio decreases from about 3 to about 2 at the end of the stroke. By comparison, most specialized bikes are much more linear (leverage ratio stays pretty constant). A lot of riders like the more linear bikes for “using all of the travel” (more plush feeling, better for people who don’t plan on doing big hits or drops). The progressive nature of the jeffsy will typically work out better for heavier riders and hard chargers (may feel like a revelation since the only other frames that ramp up like that are usually dh bikes). A more linear platform might also be easier to tune for the general rider (easier to increase the progression of a shock compared to making more linear).[/quote]

++ thanks, that’s an excellent info drop.

And, yeah, the Jeffsy is the best bike I’ve ridden, and that leverage is probably why. Now, others feel mushy - this one feels ‘tight’, while still feeling like I have plenty of cushion.

Yeah great info. I’m slowly learning about bike suspension over here.

Get me into a bash guard that works for a 2x crank. Bike has ISCG-05 tabs and a 34t big ring and I have no desire to convert to 1x right now until something breaks or wears out.

Any reason I should buy something other than a MRP XCg v2? And if not, any reason to buy the 3-bolt instead of the 2-bolt?

3 bolt: getting extra rowdy
2 bolt: some protection for chain/ring

Well you could always get a 77 designz one, I have one and it’s a small thing of beauty.

[quote=Viggen]Well you could always get a 77 designz one, I have one and it’s a small thing of beauty.
[/quote]

Ooooo, purple