All things MTB (old)

Like sealant, all droppers suck in one way or another.

Just get a quick release seat clamp, if you’re worried about durability.

My Thomson is still kickin after 2 years. Creaks a lot tho. Cable mount at the head is kinda lame design too.

[quote=yonderboy]Like sealant, all droppers suck in one way or another.

Just get a quick release seat clamp, if you’re worried about durability.[/quote]

funny you say that, mine is slipping intensely and I am hurrying to replace it with a dropper before something really bad happens due to how much I’ve had to torque the bolt in it.

also a huge pain in the ass around here since we have bunches of short steep things. I need this process to be automated.

Can someone recommend me a hard tail MTB? I like simplicity over complexity. My Jones is great but I sold it to someone that wants to get more rad than me. 148 boost rear wheel is great for fat tires and 11speed but I dont really care and I want to single speed more than I want to use gears.

I guess I could get the 135QR rear Jones as that’s still for sale. What else though? I want steel frame.

Budget is lower rather than higher. Used is OK. I dont want to buy a Karate Monkey or Krampus.

[quote=belopsky]Can someone recommend me a hard tail MTB? I like simplicity over complexity. My Jones is great but I sold it to someone that wants to get more rad than me. 148 boost rear wheel is great for fat tires and 11speed but I dont really care and I want to single speed more than I want to use gears.

I guess I could get the 135QR rear Jones as that’s still for sale. What else though? I want steel frame.

Budget is lower rather than higher. Used is OK. I dont want to buy a Karate Monkey or Krampus.[/quote]

http://konaworld.com/honzo_st_frame.cfm
steel honzo?
boost rear end, sliding drop outs, so single-speedable.

[quote=aerobear][quote=belopsky]Can someone recommend me a hard tail MTB? I like simplicity over complexity. My Jones is great but I sold it to someone that wants to get more rad than me. 148 boost rear wheel is great for fat tires and 11speed but I dont really care and I want to single speed more than I want to use gears.

Budget is lower rather than higher. Used is OK. I dont want to buy a Karate Monkey or Krampus.[/quote]

steel honzo?
boost rear end, sliding drop outs, so single-speedable.[/quote]yeh thats dope i need to see what the frame costs.
not sure i can keep it under $1500 but probably maybe if i find some used bits?

[quote=belopsky][quote=aerobear][quote=belopsky]Can someone recommend me a hard tail MTB? I like simplicity over complexity. My Jones is great but I sold it to someone that wants to get more rad than me. 148 boost rear wheel is great for fat tires and 11speed but I dont really care and I want to single speed more than I want to use gears.

steel honzo?
boost rear end, sliding drop outs, so single-speedable.[/quote]yeh thats dope i need to see what the frame costs.
not sure i can keep it under $1500 but probably maybe if i find some used bits?[/quote]

its $550 MSRP, so seems doable to build it up for $1500 if you don’t blow the budget on fork and wheels.

what if i dont go steel.
hows the Trek Roscoe 8. Any others? Kona has some nice looking as well

i have no idea. Specialized is a bit pricey if Trek will do what i want

[quote=belopsky]what if i dont go steel.
hows the Trek Roscoe 8. Any others? Kona has some nice looking as well

i have no idea. Specialized is a bit pricey if Trek will do what i want[/quote]

i’m gonna not continue this in two threads - see shartqs.

[quote=yonderboy]Like sealant, all droppers suck in one way or another.

Just get a quick release seat clamp, if you’re worried about durability.[/quote]
What sucks a lot more than droppers is riding without a dropper.

truth, would rather have my shitty reverb than a rigidpost

got one of those oil height tools, maybe i’ll get around to messing with it and fixing the bob.

Looking at getting either a crankbros highline 160 or the new e13 trs 170 for my Custom Fullsquish. Kinda tempted buy the fully rebuildable trs but slightly skeptical about the whole 4 set positions…

I was reading about the e13. I guess I don’t care about infinite or the positions. Usually up or down. Also like the price of e13.
That said, I did enjoy the first drop position on the specialized jawns, but the rest were whatever.

In my neverending search for a post I have not heard a lot of (read: no) good things about crank bros.

I know some of y’all have ran the xfusion hilo. Seems like it would suit my needs but will probably start sucking at some point. Worth a try or no?

Lukasz, is this a 27.2 seattube?

yup

I think a tranzx ysp22 would be my best bet but it seems like I need 1cm more seatpost showing than it can provide. I emailed them to confirm (can’t find min insertion for that one listed ANYWHERE) and will be delighted if they respond at all.

i know someone who got the crank brothers post (at the recommendation of their bike mechanic), but the post collar ring thing kept creeping up, and then after a few rides, it woudlnt stay down when dropped… just crept up slowly whenever you put it down. seemed pretty shitty.

so… the gravity dropper I had is still running (4 + years later) with little more than a washcloth cleaning once every 2 years. ATMO you compromise looks for durability and function, they have a 2 position one too…

the 3 position fox doss was the most trouble free post i’ve used. You really only need a full up, full down, and something in the middle.

Also tempted by the new OneUp offering, for now it’s a tie between that and the TRS+.