All things MTB (old)

But you will want it slacker all the time.

fair enough

Trying to decide between a Jones plus, something surly or some kind of hardtail. Looking for a bike for trails locally, bike camping trips and I am planning a LONG (30 day) dirt road and trail tour next summer. Really into the Jones but worried I will buy this expensive frame and not care for how it rides.

It is not a mountain bike atmo. At least not when compared with how good mountain bikes have gotten in the past few years. I still want at least a hardtail. It is pretty good for camping trips off-road tho.

That makes sense. I have a Felt Carbon XC Hardtail. Which is light and fun but not necessarily the bike I want to ride for 30 days straight next summer.

I also could just look at modern hardtail. Something with a slacker lower geometry than my Felt.

There’s really nothing (else) like the Jones’ geometry. You sit very upright, and your feet and butt support all your weight. It’s not as adept as a modern hardtail for shredding the gnar, but with wide tires/rims, it’s plenty capable given the bike’s obvious limitations. File this under stealth-brag, but one of the guys on yesterday’s group MTB ride told me he was surprised at how well the Jones handled rocky/technical terrain.

Great bike to ride for 30 days straight atmo. Not a great bike to hop on and try to shred gnar as if it were a bike with suspension.

Fuck it. Gonna go ahead and order the Jones tonight probably

So tehschkott this is what a -2 degree angle set does with your front end, came from 65,7 down to 63,7. As I said in PYB: feels like I’ve gone from “pretty capable” to “full on party mode”. No ragrets!
Before:

After:

Switched from a RLT RDO a few years back to a hardtail and have been riding shop bikes when I need a FS, now that I’m leaving the shop I’m building up a parts Tallboy. Have some various bits laying around the shop that I’ll be able to make into a bike for like $400

This 100mm Reba got all bended up:

So I put on some new lowers and a 120mm air spring and now I have a fork:

Had separate front and rear triangles that are usable laying around, so got some linkages and a rebuilt a busted up rear shock. Rooted around the headset draw and came up with most of a CC 40, but I do wanna get an angleset for it soon.

fun. rat rodding together a full susser is something I’d love to do.

Hells yeah! :bear:

If any one is looking into ta rat-rodding a FS you should order a Marino from Peru. 500USD for a fully custom single pivot…
Some examples of their work ending up in Sweden:

[quote=Viggen]So tehschkott this is what a -2 degree angle set does with your front end, came from 65,7 down to 63,7. As I said in PYB: feels like I’ve gone from “pretty capable” to “full on party mode”. No ragrets!
Before:

After:
[/quote]

Aight, that’s pretty legit. Ima do it. Thanks for the follow up.

… blurp. NM

Vig, what headset did you use? Most of the ones I’ve seen are only 1 degree. I’ve been looking at doing something like this for a while.

I snatched one from Superstar Components, made in the UK and all that jazz. Felt and looked nice when installing and uses easily replaceable cartridge bearings. They have -20% off all their UK made stuff right now with code: SUNHOORAYFP
There’s also the ones from Works which looks almost identical. They offer -1, -1,5 and -2 degree options.

And if you are gonna mess about with a FS you really should look into Offsetbushings!

Does anyone make one compatible with IS headsets? I don’t see how it would work with the typical angle setting headset designs but maybe someone came up with something clever. It would be fun to slack out and lengthen the fork on the Ritchey.

IS = bearings dropped right into the frame? If that’s what it is I don’t think its possible…

I have heard of the offset bushings, but worry about the B.B. drop. I’m not sure that the angle set would work with my bike, like Alex brought up.

I’m loving the shit out of this thread RN