All things MTB (old)

that purp marin is so hot

Finished for now. So far I’m about $350 into this thing. Gonna try to rebuild a blown Reverb for it but not hopeful. Salsa bars and stem, niner post out of the shop stash, some take-off Deore brakes that I traded a guy for some labor, a derailleur that hit the highway at 70 mph but is still functional, old nobby nic rear that was in the used pile in the back, take-off GX crank and Kona saddle. Went ahead and did angleset after I looked at the geo chart and realized the hta was over 70, not the 69 I had imagined. Should be a smidge under 68 now with the headset and a 120mm fork. Will put more purple shit on when I pull it off my hardtail.

Damn put a dropper on that thing and it will be pretty much done. That’s gonna be fun.

That is bad ass.

Ok. So I’m thinking about ways to slack out my anthem. Offset bushings would drop the already low BB too much (317 bb height), but perhaps just slamming a 140 fork (I have access to one for cheap/free) on would do the trick. It is 120 at the moment and ostensibly 20mm of fork would put it at 333 bb height and like 66.5 deg hta which is real similar to other mid travel trail bikes.

I could also get 1deg using the FSA angleset, but I’m not sure 1deg is worth 150$

I’d do the fork, depending on the reach. If it was long enough I’d also do offset bushings because reasons.

What fork do you have? If RS product, new air shaft and you’re set.

Yes to both 140 fork and offset bushings.

I pumped up my tires (Schwalbe Noby Nic 2.8") a little too hard (22psi instead of 16-18) before a ride a few weeks ago because they kept losing air and burping and I didn’t want to actually spend time on them. I ended up liking the way the bike rode a lot and keeping the pressure there.

So now I’m thinking I should move to tires that are a little narrower and just run the pressures that I want there. I can’t/don’t want to go too much narrower on the 34mm internal width rims I have, but I’m thinking about the Maxxis 2.4/2.5/2.6 WT tires. Maybe a DHRII 2.4WT in the back and a DHF 2.6 in the front? Or a 2.5WT in the front?

Maxxis tire sizing has always been confusing, but now I don’t even know what I’m looking at. Has anyone ridden the 2.5 WT next to a 2.6?

I’m looking at the DHF/DHR because I’ve used the smaller versions before and liked them and trust them, but does anyone else like anything in that size range?

I’m not entirely sure but I think Maxxis dropped the “WT” moniker to this season, which could be confusing af since there is ton of old stock left, and all their tires above 2.4 is “WT” now…

I’m not really in the position to recommend a 2,6 since I’ve only ridden 2,4 and 2,35’s. But I like the Big S Butcher/Slaugther combo or Hillbilly/Butcher for more mud shedding/aggro tread, Schwalbe MM/HD combo (really like to try the new HD pattern since it looks promising). I’ve mounted up my new Kenda Helldriver/Hellkat (in 2,4) and the Helldriver looks better than both the Slaughter or Rock Razor from Schwalbe!

Maxxis sizing is all over the place. The 2.6 dhf I saw was barely 2.3 on a 35 mm rim

all maxxis tires run small.
i run maxxis 2.5 WTs and they run about 2.35 on my 30mm internal width rims. but if you’re used to other tires labeled 2.35, the maxxis tires will seem plenty big.

@DFL i’m running an aggressor 2.5 rear and a DHF 2.5 front, both 3c exo casing. the aggressor is great for all rocky, hardpack, sandy stuff. would only recommend against if it you ride in true muddy conditions. its fine on damp dirt, but not great in mud. dhr is much better for that.
i could prob do with smaller in the rear, but i think the other option was 2.3 and knowing my past 2.35 highrollers measured like 2.15, i didnt want to go that small.

I mounted two 2.5 Minions this week both to WTB i29 rims and they measured slightly over 2.5. Seems like since Schwalbe put out the 2.6 Nobby Nic the 2.35 NN has gotten smaller, or am I just crazy?

[quote=aerobear]all maxxis tires run small.
i run maxxis 2.5 WTs and they run about 2.35 on my 30mm internal width rims. but if you’re used to other tires labeled 2.35, the maxxis tires will seem plenty big.

@DFL i’m running an aggressor 2.5 rear and a DHF 2.5 front, both 3c exo casing. the aggressor is great for all rocky, hardpack, sandy stuff. would only recommend against if it you ride in true muddy conditions. its fine on damp dirt, but not great in mud. dhr is much better for that.
i could prob do with smaller in the rear, but i think the other option was 2.3 and knowing my past 2.35 highrollers measured like 2.15, i didnt want to go that small.[/quote]
Ooh, that Agressor looks pretty good. Might do a 2.5 WT Aggressor and a 2.6 DHF next time I buy tires.

So the Germans are already posting about the new Jekyll 29er.
150-150, rear shock can be cut down to 120. 65hta, 75sta, alu cranks across the line. Stans flow rims.
Interesting spec on middle one, with their own drooper, and xt 4-pots. Don’t really dig the color of that.
Changed rocker looks like you could fit a larger water bottle now.

Also: shorter seat tubes!

The middle model looks hot! Although I’m kinda partial to that GRB now…

Seattube still same on xl. :frowning:

Wtf…

That fork would look cooler in kashima coat atmo

had a great day at the park yesterday… the constant reliving of jumps in my head made me google how many jumps there are exactly on rainmaker…

[youtube]u7eWWekpXCA[/youtube]

i’m still casing a couple (two of the longer tabletops and one of the step ups i can’t quite make) and riding around 2 of them, but damn, pretty solid success rate… we hit that all the way down twice yesterday (In addition to many other jumps on other trails)… that’s a lot of jumping.