All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

I had already ordered the frame long before you were selling your pipedream, sorry papi.

Your tires are going on this bike though!

1 Like

WHoa. Crust and FTW.

3 Likes

this is what @bikepackingsucks rides no?

it is

2 Likes

Good geo.

$1000 for an aluminum dirt jumper frame is kinda oof tho.

4 Likes

7 Likes

This vs. WinCo Factory Racing sticker is :chefkiss:

1 Like

Test rode one of these today

Really liked it too, much better than the Salsa Timberjack I test rode before. I need to find money from somewhere though…

But do other aluminum dj frames come with crust stickers!?

Raced the 5th round of Downhill Southeast at Snowshoe this past weekend.
Tons of rain Thursday, as most of us in mid Atlantic probably got. That meant we did two laps during Friday practice because it wasnt worth getting hurt in squirmy shit that you wouldn’t see on race day.
Was really tacking up on Saturday, even for our 8am practice time. Cool enough that it wasn’t really dew to create more fun. I ticked off a few of the features of Upper Hareball including this rock drop that you may know as the rock to rock transfer at the world cup.

Overall, not to bad. Def not a big drop, but coming into it was tough. I couldn’t get up courage to do first rock drop, which is bigger, totally blind, and after a few awkward g-outs and turns.

Next time there I will do it, though (no race pressure). Really also have to hit it fairly slow since there was no real berm after (also why WC people pre hop the whole thing to land sooner). Didn’t help that in race run it had dried out so much, that shit was crazy fast, and you pedaled more than before. So I put front wheel over a berm early on, and decided not to do said first rock drop.
Alas, was feeling good about stuff after that for a bit until I dropped back into woods pedaling hard. light to dark, rocks, roots, oh shit. Ate it. Race mostly over then. I mean, wasn’t going to really contend, but shit. So fixed brake, continued on and waited for guy behind to pass me. Still ended up short of breathe at the end.
Snowshoe is a blast and it was WILD to see it this dry. Saturday afternoon was like perfect dirt then it got a bit drier and faster. Alas, onto Beech Mountain in NC at the end of the month. Will get to hit Windrock for funzies beforehand.

lots of squishy mud on this one until Sunday. And sup broke her back on drop around the corner that I finally hit for first time on Saturday. Needless to say, that was tough to get over for 2 years.

14 Likes

This was just damn good shit to watch. I enjoyed Ben’s video crew and their filming/editing style in the past, but this was top notch.

1 Like

Does Tarck think MTB handguards will ever be not-dorky? Been thinking about em/kinda want some

1 Like

Those are nice sketches.

Funny I just saw some Sendhit Nock handguards on a bike and was trying to decide for myself.

They looked pretty ok, more MTB scale and less huge and chunky like moto ones can be.

I guess they make sense in heavy brush, thorns, or with wide bars+narrow trees. If I had to guess I would think there’s a market not just in big trail bikes but also ebikes and what I think of as e-mopeds.

1 Like

barkbusters on a moto = yes but i don’t see the point on mtb (i run 780mm wide bars)

On the new bike I’m running 780s too, up from 760 and stacked second ride out cuz my bars caught a tree. Still getting used to em, but despite this I’m thinking about for other reasons.

Where we go on lunch on lunch rides can be pretty susceptible to over-growth to the point where they’d help open up lines between trail maintenance. I think I a lot of people would find they liked em if they gave them a chance, but I totally get why people think they’re unnecessary/wouldn’t buy em.

@jimmythefly thanks bud. i saw someone with some on a moto-d out Chamois Hagar at grinduro and been thinking about em ever since. I’ve been looking for a surfacing project for a bit.

Oh and I got the honzo built. Getting it dialed in, it’s more different than my last bike than I thought it would be, but I think im gonna like it. My co-worker remarked I’d probably feel slower but be goin faster and I think he’s right.

5 Likes

I’m sure it’s confirmation bias, but I ended up banging my VC Guards on a tree the second time out with them. One of the areas I ride has thistles that get up to handlebar height. Having the hand guards helps not get my knuckles beat up.

I’ve had two bad cases where I really mashed my dominant hand. Handguards have always been dorky, but being dorky is better than being opposite handed for a while.

1 Like

New Bomber air shock. Funky looking, but allowed for tagline, “Slightly off. For the slightly off.”

5 Likes

DT240 shock

3 Likes

I see it

It is definitely more the 420 version demographic, but I gotcha.

1 Like