Am I old or out of shape?

Anyone else get bad cramps during a ride? Stepped off the bike and both legs locked up.

I’m thinking I’m just out of shape, need to eat better, hydrate better.

But also my seat post keeps sliding down making me think it’s making me ride in a position that is cutting off circulation.

Had to ride 6 miles standing up to avoid cramping

3 Likes

Chug some pickle juice. But really what do you drink? Might just need a gatorade or some nuun tabs or something. I cramp if I lay down for a while right after I get home from a long ride.

4 Likes

I had nun in the tarck bottle but to be fair I did a 32 mile ride after not riding a mile in a couple months

2 Likes

I’ve been slamming nuun during a hot and humid spell because of cramping cus I’m old but probably overexertion and your slipping seatpost and not enough Brawndo.

2 Likes

#whypickone?

Exactly

1 Like

get you a partner who doesn’t do either

2 Likes

well here it is
the good news is that getting back in biking shape isn’t particularly difficult, just getting through those painful bits at the beginning aint great, but it comes back way quicker than you’d expect!
also, epsom salt bath is really nice for recovery after a hard ride.
we believe in you!

4 Likes

I’ve been digging nuun tablets with caffeine recently for early morning workouts.

1 Like

Is there a way to buy NUUN tablets in bulk so I don’t have to throw away a million plastic tubes? Their package if is just so offensively wasteful, I can’t bring myself to buy them.

3 Likes

Nuun makes powder jugs too. I get that usually. I’ll order 3-4 tubs and maybe 2-3 tubes at a time. The tubes are nice because you can take the tablets with you easily. But the powder in the tub is a better sports drink.

1 Like

get some 125-10 baggies and try to reuse a few times with powder?

then just, like, don’t get pulled over by the cops?

3 Likes

Yes.

I get cramps, mostly when I don’t properly hydrate before or during rides. Usually only on longerish rides. I have a gallon of pickle juice and fill up a little 4oz bottle and throw it in the bar bag.

Yea I don’t think I probably hydrated. I was kinda sipping my water so I didn’t run out. Had to find a gas station to get more

reminder that nuun is now owned by nestle and you may wish to support a different company for electrolyte powder

9 Likes

There is ethical consumption under capitalism?

7 Likes

IIRC Nuun is not yet owned by Nestle, I think that deal goes thru in Q4.

Also there’s, like, no cost-effective substitute for Nuun, so that’s a pretty big bummer.

It’s also worth mentioning that Nuun was at least partially owned by a $10B private equity firm before getting picked up by Nestle, so they were likely already being funded by someone with a closet full of skeletons.

3 Likes

there are companies that don’t irresponsibly and illegally take more than their fair share of water, deploy propaganda against breastfeeding to developing nations in an effort to sell formula, support deforestation thru palm oil harvesting, or openly use child labour in cacao production

10 Likes

is this the thread where we commiserate about being old and out of shape? because I feel old and out of shape. What’s the best way to get back into longer rides? Just ride more? I’ve forgotten how to ride my bike over 20 miles.

4 Likes

I started with more frequent shorter rides, like 5 days a week and then moved into the longer rides

That worked for me and I’m up from like 50 miles/week in March to 150-200 miles/week now.

4 Likes