apartment bike storage

I’m tired of leaning my bikes on the wall/eachother. anyone use any sort of stand?

something like

or

any ideas?

i plan to get something like the second rack to go in the doorway to one of my closets in my new apt once i clear out some room. wall hanging is my preferred method, but we traded large windows for wall space at the new place.

The vertical stands are nice. The floor stands are a waste of money unless you are EJ and have an entire room to devote to bikes. They take up a lot of room when stored like that. My favorite is the shelf brackets that you get at a hardware store with a little hook on the end for a closet rod. Drill them into a stud and they support 40lb. Then you can put bikes anywhere and pretend they are art.

we have the vertical stands, changed our life and probably saved our relationship. we found them on craigslist for about $50. at some point we will probably upgrade and get nicer ones, but these are plain black and get the job done.

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2008/02/stolmen-bike-rack.html
ATMO

just put them all in your kitchen so when you have guests over they don’t try to steal your food and beer coz jungle gym

I have a friend who has one similar to the first, except an expandable post that goes to the ceiling also… I think it’d be a little more stable. His is in the small breakfast area, and he just put a really small cafe size table and two chairs in there also. Bikes are a little close to the ceiling fan (29er and a 26in BMX… so maybe spaced out more than needed for some bikes).

That ikea one looks pretty baller… I think I’ll do that next time i need some space, or need to move them.

That’s the drawback to the stud mount one I have in the garage. Has to be on a stud, and can’t just slide it down to make space. I have one wallmount, and enough hooks over my truck for 3 bikes, so less than $15 in all, including tax. The wallmount does work well as a pseudo work stand. Not gonna be wrenching on it, but nice for cleaning/lubing/small maintenance.

Mine was cheaper at the store… like $5-$6.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_302680-923-STFSR13_0_?productId=3031745&Ntt=bike&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=bike$y=10$x=24

I have one of the vertical stands that tightens into the ceiling and the floor, not sure of the brand, but it works perfectly and allows me to actually walk through the kitchen.

pretty sure this is the kind that fell down and killed artblur’s barloworld track

i had the michaelangelo. worked good. left it behind when moved cross country.

Oh… the one I was talking about has the large legs like the 1st one, but ALSO an expandable post. Seemed like the most stable of all.
I would check with artblur… do not get that one. no matter what. You will commit suicide if it ever fell, cause you’d be like, “Man, I KNEW it could fall. Why did I sacrifice my bike?”.

i have two of these…

the only thing i would suggest if you get the topeak is to frequently check the tension because it has fallen once before (and ruined a frame, as dylan mentioned). they do look nice though.

I’ve got this one from performance:

No complaints and it keeps my bikes out of the way

Wait, I have a whole room full of bikes all leaned against walls/each other and boxes and piles of bike junk. Should I get floor racks and get my self organized?

Rhetorical question?

Those floor racks are fuggin’ expensive!!!

[quote=CeeGee]I’ve got this one from performance:

No complaints and it keeps my bikes out of the way[/quote]

I’ve got one of those as well. It holds 3 of our 4 bikes in a relatively small space. As soon as I bother going back to performance I’ll get another set of the hook things and get all 4 bikes on it.

I like it. A little more expensive than some other options, but it’s really solid and you can fit 6 bikes on it if you get another set of little arms.

[quote=CeeGee]I’ve got this one from performance:

No complaints and it keeps my bikes out of the way[/quote]

I have two of these, and I’ve been very satisfied. The only thing I don’t like about them is that the big arms can be a pain to fit through really “compact” triangle frames. Otherwise, they have been very solid.

I also have one of these:

These aren’t so great. The rubber on the arms on mine started disintegrating within a couple weeks, and I ended up wrapping the arms with an old tube. Also, as others have mentioned, there’s no adjustability since you have to put it in a stud. Though I don’t like the design, I do trust it enough to hang my “nice” bike over my head and my computer.

I think someone on here had suggested these in the past…
if you have lots of bikes (not too pretty, but compact… not sure if bikes would stay unscratched)…
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2628

i put my spare bikes in the bathtub?

[quote=ArtBlur]i have two of these…

the only thing i would suggest if you get the topeak is to frequently check the tension because it has fallen once before (and ruined a frame, as dylan mentioned). they do look nice though.[/quote]

And I’m pretty sure that I mentioned this before, but I have a friend that was given a broken rib by one of those also.

I’ve got a gravity stand for 2 bikes and keep the other 2 in my basement storage unit. When we get into a bigger place, I’m picking up a second gravity stand. Probably won’t survive an earthquake, but what does?