asploded bike parts thread

BAM!

[quote=Rusty Piton]I’ve got one!

[/quote]

How in the hell did you do this?

Some weird shit happened today. I was jra slowly (10-12 km/h-ish), and noticed that my front brake was grinding a bit because of some grains of sand on my rim. No problem, thinks i, I’ll just squirt some water on the rim. I guess something fucked up because suddenly I was high siding . Through reflexes/ zen mastery I turned the high side into a very, very hard right turn. I miraculously stayed on my bike instead of smashing my face into the road, but I tacoed my wheel. I will probably have to replace the rim (old ass MA-2) because it seems to be aggressively maintaining taco shape even with tension backed off. dq: did this ever happen to any of you?

tacoing a rim? high siding? I’ve done both. You can bend the rim back to close to normal if you don’t really give a shit that you won’t be able to get it perfectly true again, or you can replace it. Seems odd you high sided, usually high siding only happens in corners when you lose rear end traction and then unexpectedly regain traction. Did you accidentally brake w/ your rear brake as you cleaned the front one? I’m really confused how that happened.

edited for real contribution to this thread.

[quote=crushfaygodestroy][quote=Rusty Piton]I’ve got one!
[/quote]

How in the hell did you do this?[/quote]
Got right hooked, went into a skid, cranks shit the bed.

That makes a bit more sense. I was trying to figure out how the chain on the pedal thing happened, thinking that somehow caused the crank death.

The chain wrapped the crank arm because the chainring folded.

Got it now. Frame okay?

The rear triangle was about 2mm to the right, but it bent back just fine.
I should ad that this happened the second time I ever rode the bike.

@vt: It wasn’t a real/ classic high side, more like turning bars to the left while not paying attention, and falling to the right and “over the top” as a result. I happen to have one of the exact same rims jla, so will do a swap.

Next time I’m in Santa Cruz, I’ll take a picture of the DS RaceFace crankarm that my friend snapped in half. I think he might have done it once, warrantied it, then did it again and said fuck it and just bought new cranks and hung the crankarm on the wall for us to laugh at.

Saw ian posted in here and knew exactly what to expect. Still spectacular. Hadn’t seen that last pic before.

<3

thin-wall AL is no match for 2-ton steel cage!

<3

thin-wall AL is no match for 2-ton steel anything![/quote]

i used to work at a shop that had a collection of broken santa cruz superlight front triangles and a a few other things. maybe a kelin, cannondale among others.

man i forgot for a sec what kinda gnar uncle ian shreds

thats what you get for buying a bike made out of bacon, LOL

I gagged a little when I saw that.

grossest part is the saddle.
loving that last pic ian.