Babby, It's Cold Outside

[quote=JUGE FREDD]
if it turns out to actually be a pinch point, heatgun/hairdyer is better than dremelling for SKS[/quote]
Pro tip rite here

The new Showers Pass Knit Crosspoint gloves seem pretty great. After experimenting with Ninja Ice, I have determined that they will just never fit my hands (sausage fingers like Jimmy), and I’ll probably splurge on a pair of these in the next week or so, and then I can write a more definitive opinion.

On the subject of gloves, I’ve worn holes in basically every fall/winter weight glove I have, so I got a pair of the Defeet DuraGloves ET Wool Comps. They fit perfect, with a lot of stretch so there’s not a huge gap between any part of my hand and the gloves, the rubberized grip is great for drops or flat handlebars, and the ET thing works well enough that I can operate my camera while riding, without taking the gloves off. Texting is also easy, but not while in motion (duh). I’ve ridden three times in pretty substantial rains, with temperatures between 45°-50° F, and while my hands will be pickled by the end of the ride, but they stay warm enough that I don’t experience any significant discomfort or numbness.

Amazon has ragg wool gloves for $5-8 a pop and the sizing is always imperfect, but they are just awesome for me. No moisture buildup, and plenty warm underneath a rain mitt. I have the mittens, the gloves, the fingerless gloves, and a bunch of merino liner gloves and I just mix and match based on temp/conditions.

Get me into cheap waterproof shoes for super-wide feet. Five Ten? I have a feeling that global warming is going to make this New England winter unusually wet instead of dry/cold and my waterproof socks or snow boots leave a lot to be desired.

Five Ten Freerider EPS handle water better than plain Freeriders, but they’re not perfect. If you have low-volume feet order your normal sneaker size. Otherwise, size up by a half to full size.

Also digging the DeFeet DuraGloves.

Heritage is an equestrian company, but their deep winter gloves are they best-styled glove I’ve ever had. They make me feel like I have Batman’s hands.

They’re nicely sculpted, waterproof, and have a tight cuff to keep out wind and snow. They’re probably good down to -4C/25F, maybe lower cuz they have the little zip for warmer inserts (I’ve never tried). Anything lower than that and I usually switch to Giro’s 2-fingered gloves.

The gloves come in 10(!) different sizes and they have a handy hand-measuring chart on the product page, but it only accounts for width, not finger length. I’m not certain, but if you go wider, the fingers may naturally go longer?

And at $40 or less, they are incredibly economical for the level of quality they offer.

Good glove suggestions ITT. Thanks for sharing.

Testing out these things right now. They were only $7 including shipping. They are single layer since I found the double layer in the Ninja Ice to be annoying (inner layer of fingers getting twisted and tight feeling).
Not super impressed but they do, luckily, fit my hand perfect.
Haven’t fully drenched them yet but work fine for 40-50 deg F Seattle drizzle weather.

I also picked up these Rapha gloves that were on sale. Very happy with them for dry weather in the 50 deg range.
The palm molds to the bar really well and probably the first glove with padded palm that I actually like.

Added a Soft Goods section to the Tarck Approved database to champion those Heritage gloves.

I finally made the jump to cheap ATV pogies. It’s nice not having to wear heavy glove, but goddamn these things are dorky looking!
Untitled by rudyluciani, on Flickr

These would be perfect for Eroica or a tweed ride:

Got my ninja ice gloves in today. Much nicer than I expected for $8. They fit OK, fingers are a bit baggy but I see that as room for liners if I need them. I don’t plan on riding in the rain for another week or two so we’ll have to wait and see how I like them on the bike.

I’m already adjusting to Midwest life. Warmed up to 28 degrees on my ride home and I was annoyed at how hot it felt.

I’m in Iowa and i ride without gloves in December. This shit ain’t right.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F15279064216

Just got these for ~$20
There’s some branding but IDC

Genuinely wondering if I actually need spike tires. Currently on day six of riding on icy streets on the mostly slick 2” refuse tires and am not feeling any need for more traction.

The only sketchy thing I’ve experienced is the three inch tall ice ridges tires make when psycho Minneapolis drivers careen around turns at high speed. They’re so tall I’m not sure spikes would do anything for those.

Wondering about freeze-thaw cycles as the temp is set to swing 15-20 every day this week. I’m guessing I might experience some sudden black ice or something and crash.

Today, for the first time in like seven winters, I called for a ride home. I was all set to bike, but rain/sleet turned to sleet/sleet, the temperature dropped 10 degrees, the road froze solid, and I watched a snow plow almost slide into another snow plow. I got psyched out and did not ride home.

I had a grant-approved reflective belt on my basket, a safety triangle in the back, a taillight, a 400 lumen headlight, but I just had an awful feeling. Freeze/thaw early in the season when drivers aren’t ready means lots of crashes.

The title of this thread is really bothering me now that i noticed the misplaced apostrophes.

it’s not the # of feet of snow?

Nazimod it!