Babby, It's Cold Outside

if the power goes out, do you just leave the door open and shovel some snow in?

Man, the weather is nice. It was getting down into the 20s (freedumb) overnight, but the rain came back and now it’s the typical 35-45 swing, with rain showers, blustery winds, and sucker-holes. Winter in Washington in December. Might put the insulated dealies on the spigots outside, but not real worried about it.

It was 35F today and it felt balmy. New England has been locked in the 20’s for a week and a half.

It’s been mid 30s in the morning for my ride in, jeans, long underwear, 2 pairs of socks, thermal, hoodie, flannel, windbreaker, hat, doubled gloves, etc and still freezing my ass off because I’m only on the bike for 10 minutes and I drop like 20 ft of elevation. Then I get sweaty for lunch in jeans and a t shirt somewhere in the mid 60s. For my ride home the microclimates really fuck with me. It’s still mid 50s at the shop, but it derps down to like 40 as I drop into my neighborhood.

Really though, all I have to complain about is my lack of being prepared.

It got up to 51 in chicago yesterday! I rode home in a t shirt!
Supposedly it’s going to get cold again next week. I’m looking forward to testing out my new Lake boots on some frozen singletrack!

Lol. This is the year I’m figuring out that I’ve been altered by Texas weather. I’m still wearing my wool jersey at 51F. I put a thermal vest on over that when it’s in the low 40s… I think when I lived in Iowa, that amount of clothing (with some baselayers IIRC) would get me down to around freezing temps.

30+: wool shirt/sweater,ninja ice gloves (hold the handlebars on the outside of the bar mitts), wool cap. Remove cap and gloves if I’m riding fast.
20+: add a vest, keep hands in bar mits
10+: lose the vest, add an insulated wind proof outer layer. Add balaclava. Also add long Johns under pants.
0+: add the vest back in under the wind layer. Zip the pits up on the wind layer.
Less than zero: ???

I wish. I do have some guidelines for packing coolers with dry ice somewhere. I think it’s 10 pounds per cubic foot to hold temp for 8 hours? But the store I’m at now has a generator so all I really have to worry about is lost sales cuz no one shops in big storms.

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F15279064216

Just got these for ~$20
There’s some branding but IDC[/quote]

These are almost too hot for 45freedom degrees + defeet neons

Since I’ve started using bar mitts, I’ve been able to cut down my thermal layers significantly.

Lol. Woke up and checked the weather - 40 degrees! I put on a baselayer and a windshell. Rode in freezing my butt off, turns out my phone hadn’t reloaded from yesterday’s weather and it was actually high 20’s with windchill. New England gets me every time…

[quote=emor]
Less than zero: ???[/quote]

I rode on a lake today on my bike commute

uploading a image

There is nothing more divine than riding on a lake.

Today, it rained and then froze. An inch of ice on everything. Hella treach’!

I finally slipped on ice in front of a bunch of joggers. The shame.

Tried out the ninja ice gloves in the (California) cold. 35ish degrees out and my hands were frozen and it felt like the gloves were too, complete loss of dexterity. So far not a fan, we’ll see how they do in the rain but I’m thinking they’re off bike duty and maybe I can use them for working in the yard this winter.

Right now my winning combo is thin glove liners with wool knit Ibex gloves on top. That gets be down to low 40s comfortably and mid 30s is bearable. Probably going to get a thicker set of liners and wool knits to mix and match for my princess and the pea hands.

I used some mylar tape and stuck it to the inside of my booties. It didn’t help with the cold toes, today. Even my merino wool/fleece sock collabo couldn’t hold up to the below freezing windchill.

I also tried out some trigger mitts I found on closeout. They were good for the first 1.5 hrs, but the last hour I started to feel the bite on my index finger.

Hundred dollar idea: bar mitts, but for your feet.

See: booties