Babby, It's Cold Outside

Windchill yesterday was just a hair below zero degrees. Fun fact, two days ago Mount Washington broke its record for coldest recorded temperature at -89ºF

Is there a negative air spring, too? I had a Reba where the main air volume would shrink more/faster than the negative, fork would eat itself.[/quote]

Not sure what exactly happened, I just know it was caused by the cold. The bike thawed and everything went back to normal.

:colbert:

And then today’s ride was in the 60s.

:colbert:[/quote]
Yeah, bad news bears. Evidently it is still sitting at 30% sag even with 150psi.
I was kinda surprised since he seemed to have the bike apart for other reasons throughout the year.

Temperature change should affect the positive and negative air spring pressures equally—must be something else going on too

It’s bad enough that I’ve given up and spent ~12 hours on the trainer this past week

I don’t think so, because the negative spring is a smaller volume. Think about how adding token spacers to a fork let’s you keep the initial soft rate but prevents bottom out by shifting the steep ramp of the progressive air spring curve closer. At the time I did an experiment where I set both chambers to 100 psi, rode the bike in the cold and then checked the pressures again. Negative spring was significantly higher psi than main, although both dropped. My theory was that the smaller negative spring operates closer to the ramp up more of the time, keeping it warmer, and also lives deeper in the fork. Main spring spends less time near ramp up, has thin stanchion cooling it.

It was around -12 this morning on my ride in. It was very cold, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

Problems:
Fogged glasses. I ended up taking my glasses off. Then my eyelashes froze and blinking was hard.

Legs. Long underwear + dickies is NOT enough for riding in below zero temps. Need to get a windproof pair of pants.

Feet. My wools sox + waterproof leathjer keens was about 75% warm enough. Probably one more thin pair of socks might do it.

Everything else was dandy. Wool shirt + wool sweater + puffy vest + fleece insulated outer wind layer kept me toasty and comfortable.

Bar mitts + full-dip Ice Ninjas was perfect.

Once I solve the legs + eyes I think I could cruise around indefinitely in these temps.

Might need ski goggles for over glasses. Put them on before going outside to keep your glasses over condensation temps. Might need insulated bike tights for the ride in, or maybe rain pants for the wind block. Warm legs will probably solve the foot problem.

My Wiley X safety glasses came with a removeable foam seal that clipped inside the frame to seal against your face. Something like that would probably work, there are cheaper options with that feature if you didn’t want to go full goggles

-3f for my NYD MTB ride this morning.
Wool base layer top and bottom under my cool Swedish cargo pants, Ibex wool jerz and Showers Pass IMBA jacket. Lobster glove under ATV bar mitts kept my paws super toasty. I sweated a whole bunch and when I took my jacket off at the end of the ride, the accumulated perspiration froze instantly and exploded off the jacket in a cloud of sweat snow.

13F for maiden voyage of new fat bike. Wool baselayer top and orange Campy Borat tights, pants, wool jersey, jacket, vest, lobster gloves, balaclava. Just about nailed it. Toes got cold after 40 min w wool socks in Lake boots.

[quote=emor]It was around -12 this morning on my ride in. It was very cold, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

Problems:
Fogged glasses. I ended up taking my glasses off. Then my eyelashes froze and blinking was hard.

Legs. Long underwear + dickies is NOT enough for riding in below zero temps. Need to get a windproof pair of pants.

Feet. My wools sox + waterproof leathjer keens was about 75% warm enough. Probably one more thin pair of socks might do it.

Everything else was dandy. Wool shirt + wool sweater + puffy vest + fleece insulated outer wind layer kept me toasty and comfortable.

Once I solve the legs + eyes I think I could cruise around indefinitely in these temps.[/quote]

http://www.giro.com/us_en/tempo.html

Throw em on over the glasses.

[quote=aerobear][quote=emor]It was around -12 this morning on my ride in. It was very cold, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

Problems:

Once I solve the legs + eyes I think I could cruise around indefinitely in these temps.[/quote]

http://www.giro.com/us_en/tempo.html

Throw em on over the glasses.[/quote]

I have a pair of Giro OTG goggles that I bought for snowboarding. I tried them on my ride today, thinking that it would work great to prevent tearing up while descending. I had to take them off because they kept bouncing just enough to make it hard to concentrate on the trail.

Thats weird. I don’t wear glasses, so i dont actually know if anything fits under the cheapo goggles, but i bought some to wear with my full face (since you cant put sunglasses on) and theres definitely no bouncing. I haven’t actually worn them on trail yet though, only for commuting and at valmont. At valmont I mostly got too hot and fogged up the goggles because i was stopping too much… Super cozy for morning commutes though.

I’m not sure if you would notice the bouncing/rattling if you aren’t wearing prescription glssses underneath.

Need to get down to REI and try some goggles. Definitely worried about glasses interference. Though I have to ask — is there any reason why the goggles aren’t going to fog up? It’s caused by my breath which will definitely warm up the outside surface of the goggles too.

Also, I got hot on my way home today even though it was -3 because I rode on the lake and pushed through a few inches of snow.

So far, I like sunny and bitterly cold a whole hell of a lot better than endless dark rain

My experience snowboarding is that you want the goggles made for glasses, as there are extra vents and cut outs and shit. If the goggles are fogging on the outside, you can wipe with a goggle wipe (on specialty gloves) or breath out to the side. Rarely had problems when moving, but the second I stopped it was a condensation situation.

Googles crew +1.

I generally commuted all winter in Chicago and Boston with snowboard helmet + full face balaclava + goggles. Comfortable and I only recall condensation being an issue when stopped for long periods of time or when going in/out of warm buildings.