Babby, It's Cold Outside

I crashed before I even got out of our driveway today on the fat bike. 2-3 inches of fresh powder over ice. Dang old nope. Rode around the neighborhood for another 10 minutes to confirm no grip anywhere. Then rollers in the basement.

they cancelled schools here tomorrow because of this thing called “wind chill” which is a government conspiracy to crush our souls.
wind chill is a myth.

Yall need to build those big wooden boxes you store children in during the winter while they wait for the bus.

Rode to work in the big bomb cyclone, closed early and heading home was the worst I’ve ever ridden in. Fishtailed constantly my mostly slightly downhill route home. Kept it upright and granny geared up the last kicker hill to my house, hoping the car sliding out in front of me wouldn’t start rolling backwards.

Yeah, that snow was greasy.

this really made me laugh.
stoked for my commute home in the 20+mph winds!

Went out on mtb just as snow started in Boston yesterday.
WTH: won’t be riding the trails for quite some time :frowning:
HY: gonna xc ski

this really made me laugh.
stoked for my commute home in the 20+mph winds![/quote]

Hope its all tail winds

yeah, it’s extremely rare that we don’t get wind from the west or west northwest here. and i work directly west of my house!

[quote=fixed]they cancelled schools here tomorrow because of this thing called “wind chill” which is a government conspiracy to crush our souls.
wind chill is a myth.[/quote]

This is one of my gripes. When it gets below 20F, everyone starts measuring the temperature with windchill. 22, 21, 20, then suddenly they skip to -10 with windchill.

It annoys me because they are often not the people who are actually out in the cold. They’re people who see the windchill on the news, then go outside for 20 seconds to get in their pre-heated SUV with butt warmers on high.

Look, I know it doesn’t matter, but if we’re gonna have a dick measuring contest, I want to make sure we’re using the same rulers.

thank you. wind chill is ultra stupid. i went nordic skiing on saturday and it was 0 (real temperature, obviously) with about 25mph winds. if i faced into the wind, i was cold. if i faced away from the wind, i wasn’t cold. can’t we just say “it’s 0 and 25mph winds” instead of “it’s -20” which is completely meaningless to me?
honestly i’d rather be outside in -20 with no wind than 0 with 25mph wind.
i hate wind chill.

High of 40 today, low of -7 tomorrow. Fuck man, Midwest weather is bonkers.

Even worse than wind chill is when they say it’s 10f but it feels like -2.
I’m like, “No! It feels like it’s ten degrees out because it’s ten fucking degrees out! Who are you to tell me how cold it feels?!? That shit is subjective!”
And then my wife’s all “Shut up Rudy, you sound like a crazy person.”

dude, i am 100% with you on that. i am always ranting about this. “it feels like -2? no, it feels like 10 degrees with a 5mph wind!!!”
i think this is why people like us are here on tarck talking about riding bikes in the frigid weather, instead of doing…normal things

[quote=Rusty Piton]Even worse than wind chill is when they say it’s 10f but it feels like -2.
I’m like, “No! It feels like it’s ten degrees out because it’s ten fucking degrees out! Who are you to tell me how cold it feels?!? That shit is subjective!”
And then my wife’s all “Shut up Rudy, you sound like a crazy person.”[/quote]

LOLOL

went from 40 and raining to 19 overnight, with a nice light dusting of snow. Still no studded tires.

I had this amazing revelation this morning that I should just put one of my studded tires on the front of the family bike. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier. I am going to have a lot of fun with that. That long wheelbase is always extra fun in low traction situations.

i still dont understand the point of studded tires outside of riding on the snowy beach

studded tires are for when you really really don’t feel like eating a face full of pavement on your commute to work on roads that have two inches of hard-packed icy snow on them

tomorrow’s weather will be high of 54, low of 15. 8-12 inches of snow.

yeah but practically, does that happen often enough to warrant the tires? i’ve certainly never felt like i needed them in chicago (and i have a pair, sitting unused)

I think the enormous amount of salt that Chicago throws obviates the need for studs.
Most cities aren’t as insane with the salt as ours.