Badass bike parts picture thread

fucking klampers, man. the worst.

I have 1x on one of my commuters, but it hasn’t been ridden longer than 20km or up any real sort of incline, so it’s been fine.

COLORS

sooooooooooo glad I opted for RS685 on my DayRuiner. I can’t believe I ever considered bar end shifter on this bike.

This reminds me of this guy on the Twin Cities Bike FB group I’m on – he comes in and asks how to put a bigger front chainring on his bike so he can ride faster on his bike tour from Minneapolis to Chicago. And people actually gave him advice on how to do it. Sometimes I forget how totally clueless people are about bikes.

[quote=NOVELTYNAME][quote=b-roll]I have a Campeon and a La Raza, although the La Raza is just an unpainted frame waiting for inspiration.
I bought retro Salsa MTB decals for it but haven’t had urge to paint.[/quote]

RASTA
[color=#f00]RASTA[/color]
[color=#ff0]RASTA[/color]
[color=#3f0]RASTA[/color]
RASTA
Img leaf /img legalize it img leaf /img[/quote]

The local shop our team comes out of has a total Rasta color scheme, and our kits have had some pretty cool looking Rasta combo armbands, etc for a while. Apparently some of our members have become concerned about cultural appropriation and moved to remove the combo from our kit. I tried everything I could to design a kit with the same colors that didn’t strike that chord but never got something that both the shop owner and the club could agree on. Our kits are still OK but basically black white and red, mucho pop lost. This response seems a little over the top, but it’s kind of killed some of the fun of Rasta color schemes for me.

:colbert:

well you’re not going to wear a hat with fake dreads
and you’re not going to talk in a fake potois accent

i have opinions about appropriation and exploitation. painting your bike red yellow green and black is hardly either.

im pretty sure those bob marley tapestries sold at the markets in jamaica are mostly for tourists

It’s a poser, but I’m not in much of a position to argue.

genius if intentional

[quote=b-roll][quote=NOVELTYNAME][quote=b-roll]I have a Campeon and a La Raza, although the La Raza is just an unpainted frame waiting for inspiration.

RASTA
RASTA

The local shop our team comes out of has a total Rasta color scheme, and our kits have had some pretty cool looking Rasta combo armbands, etc for a while. Apparently some of our members have become concerned about cultural appropriation and moved to remove the combo from our kit. I tried everything I could to design a kit with the same colors that didn’t strike that chord but never got something that both the shop owner and the club could agree on. Our kits are still OK but basically black white and red, mucho pop lost. This response seems a little over the top, but it’s kind of killed some of the fun of Rasta color schemes for me.

:colbert:[/quote]

“Ya mon?”

It’s kinda tacky at best.
Rastafarianism is a distinct religion built out of some really brutally unjust historical conjunctures. Reducing it to “lol thats the weed colors for smoking weed” or whatever really sucks.
If you’re a huge fan of Bob Marley and his politics or you really find Rastafarian culture and faith interesting, that’s another story. You can probably find more respectful ways of demonstrating your interest.

I mean, is it the end of the world? No. Should we all be viscerally horrified at appropriation of Caribbean syncretic faith by way of dipshit white hippie culture? No.
Can we choose other color schemes and culture references? Absolutely.

[quote=iwillbe]
Can we choose other color schemes and culture references? Absolutely.[/quote]
Not always! You will get in very big poo if you do that without permission in NZ with respect to Maori culture, and rightly so. Bob Marley is special though. Hes had an incredible influence on indigenous cultures of the Pacific and Melanesia. Bob and by association Rastafarianism was big in NZ and the symbology is also very big in PNG. Mind you PNG is an interesting case with “The Phantom” being right up there as one of their favourite icons, but still not as whacky as the movement around the Cargo cult around the Queens Husband Prince Philip in Vanuatu …

[quote=b-roll][quote=NOVELTYNAME][quote=b-roll]I have a Campeon and a La Raza, although the La Raza is just an unpainted frame waiting for inspiration.

RASTA
RASTA

:colbert:[/quote]

Knowing Mark I can imagine him coming up with an appropriation argument to ditch the colorway, not really b/c he bought the argument, but because it was easier than telling the Rev dudes that it is hella tacky. Also, red, black, white, is suitably old man enough (also Rutgers) for him to push …

Also this is all assuming I have your location, and rasta shop cross team correct.

Oh, I didn’t mean it like, “can wealthy hobbyists in imperial centers pick and choose from other cultures as they like? Sure!!”, I meant it as “If we accept that appropriation is a problematic practice, can we let that awareness guide our choices?”

As in, if you’re not Maori, don’t get culturally significant Maori facial tattoos, get some Sailor Jerry shit or a Pokemon or whatever. There’s a whole lot packed into debates about appropriation, and there may not be a perfect one size fits all standard (besides “don’t be an asshole”).

It’s also the color of several flags of Africa, so you don’t necessarily have to conclude that it is connected to Rastafari.

People were making “legalize it” jokes on the previous page, and talking about Bob Marley. I took a small leap there.

If people on a bike team have some heavy connection to Africa / African diaspora, cool, otherwise, why that choice?

Why are you asking me that? I just pointed out that it is not the exclusive domain of Rastafarianism.

Well, I imagine no one on that team was a fan of Black Star of Africa or anything.
Sly Fox has had a rasta-themed colors and promotion for their cross race the last few years, and it irks me a bit.

Oh
My
God

I really want to paint one of my bikes that salsa brush stroke rasta colorway.

This is almost as bad as when one white coworker came up to me to ask me if it bothered me when a other white coworker said nigga when singing along with his favorite rap songs.

It was a rhetorical question to the crowd, not going after you personally. In this case, other people thematically tied it to Rastafarianism before either of us jumped in.