Baskets

So I am building up a grocery getter/mule bike, going with a regular touring pannier rack on the back and probably going to get some bags for it sometime soon. But I want to throw a HUGE serious beast of a front basket on this bike. Any suggestions?

get a randonnuer rack for the front. those things are huge and you can use straps to attach a variety of things to them, including milk crates or rubber-made storage bins for a basket type situation, as well as just tieing shit down or putting stacks of pizza’s on them. I want one.

There is one answer to this question - Wald.

^^wald drop tops are so dope looking. i think i need one for my cruiser

i would go with the front rack.

CETMA rack + milk crate.

Wald is not too far from me. I wonder if they have a retail store at the factory. I wanna go check that place out…

http://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/wald157basket.html

This is what I was looking for, again BC comes through and noone else listens. On this bike I am going full basket+cargo net upfront and racks on the back. I wish Cetma made a gaint rear rack like that 7 rail beast.

Also the Wald is way cheaper than Cetma.

[quote=“danger_scott”]http://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/wald157basket.html

This is what I was looking for, again BC comes through and noone else listens. On this bike I am going full basket+cargo net upfront and racks on the back. I wish Cetma made a gaint rear rack like that 7 rail beast.

Also the Wald is way cheaper than Cetma.[/quote]

why a basket though?
I mean, I suppose I understand the aesthetics angle, but as far as a utilitarian bike goes, you cant beat a cetma in the front for the most uses.
A rear rack is great for hooking panniers on and stuff, but there will be times when you’ll wish you had a cetma, take it from someone who on the regular wishes he had a good way to move pizza’s among other things.

I think I’ll try and build a rack tonight…

[quote=“frankstoneline”][quote=“danger_scott”]http://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/wald157basket.html

why a basket though?
I mean, I suppose I understand the aesthetics angle, but as far as a utilitarian bike goes, you cant beat a cetma in the front for the most uses.
A rear rack is great for hooking panniers on and stuff, but there will be times when you’ll wish you had a cetma, take it from someone who on the regular wishes he had a good way to move pizza’s among other things.

I think I’ll try and build a rack tonight…[/quote]

The reason for basket is that this bike is primarially mean for going to actually get groceries and I feel the easiest way to carry them will be a basket and panniers. I actually prefer the aesthetic of the Cetma with the rails, I bet with a good cargo net it would be pretty good. Also the Wald is 40, the Cetma is 100.

[quote=“danger_scott”][quote=“frankstoneline”][quote=“danger_scott”]http://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/wald157basket.html

why a basket though?

I think I’ll try and build a rack tonight…[/quote]

The reason for basket is that this bike is primarially mean for going to actually get groceries and I feel the easiest way to carry them will be a basket and panniers. I actually prefer the aesthetic of the Cetma with the rails, I bet with a good cargo net it would be pretty good. Also the Wald is 40, the Cetma is 100.[/quote]

how much groceries do you plan on carrying?
here’s my deal:
you can get a shit ton of groceries into a set of panniers and a milk crate (if you strap one onto your rear rack)
so beyond that, a front rack’s only purpose is to serve as either a) a load balancer, b) an extranneous situations fall back or c) to fill a purpose not capable of being filled by a rack and panniers.

A basket can do one of those. A cetma can do ALL of them with ease.
hell, a cetma can also serve as a second seat if need be.

a good example, i wanted to have a bike barbecue this summer. everybody gets on bikes, we bike to the river, have a barbecue. Couldnt find a way to get a barbecue onto my bike. Needed a cetma.
bought 4 papa murphies family sized pizza’s for a party. needed a cetma.
etc.

The main issue is cost. The largest Wald is about 60 shipped. The Cetma 7-rail is 120 before shipping or if I pick it up local. A Cetma blows my budget for this bike. Which is 300, got the bike for 150 and there are a few other things I need to grab like pedals, panniers and a new bar setup.
Trust me I know the advantages of a cetma, I would prefer it. I just don’t think this bike needs it, at least not right now.

[quote=“danger_scott”]The main issue is cost. The largest Wald is about 60 shipped. The Cetma 7-rail is 120 before shipping or if I pick it up local. A Cetma blows my budget for this bike. Which is 300, got the bike for 150 and there are a few other things I need to grab like pedals, panniers and a new bar setup.
Trust me I know the advantages of a cetma, I would prefer it. I just don’t think this bike needs it, at least not right now.[/quote]

ah alright.
understood.
thats a badass build if you can get pedals, panniers, new bars and a 60 dollar basket for 150 bucks

[quote=“frankstoneline”][quote=“danger_scott”]The main issue is cost. The largest Wald is about 60 shipped. The Cetma 7-rail is 120 before shipping or if I pick it up local. A Cetma blows my budget for this bike. Which is 300, got the bike for 150 and there are a few other things I need to grab like pedals, panniers and a new bar setup.
Trust me I know the advantages of a cetma, I would prefer it. I just don’t think this bike needs it, at least not right now.[/quote]

ah alright.
understood.
thats a badass build if you can get pedals, panniers, new bars and a 60 dollar basket for 150 bucks[/quote]

Yea there is a bike swap this weekend so I am hoping to get the pedals and bars. Panniers will probably have to wait.

[quote=“danger_scott”][quote=“frankstoneline”][quote=“danger_scott”]The main issue is cost. The largest Wald is about 60 shipped. The Cetma 7-rail is 120 before shipping or if I pick it up local. A Cetma blows my budget for this bike. Which is 300, got the bike for 150 and there are a few other things I need to grab like pedals, panniers and a new bar setup.

ah alright.
understood.
thats a badass build if you can get pedals, panniers, new bars and a 60 dollar basket for 150 bucks[/quote]

Yea there is a bike swap this weekend so I am hoping to get the pedals and bars. Panniers will probably have to wait.[/quote]

Didn’t hear about that. Where and when?

Kate found it, she can post the info about it.

wald ftw.

This thread talked me into a CETMA rack.

CETMA is my eventual upgrade. You stupid dicks almost talked me into it.

I may get one too…