Best cold weather head gear?

I’ve been thinking about stepping up my cold weather head gear. I’ve been using just a wool scarf and cotton cap under my helmet during my commute which is usually between 32-40ish degrees this time of year… never more than a few degrees below freezing and often wet.

Is a Balaklava the way to go or do they suck when they get wet? Overkill for temps over freezing? Any other suggestions?

How about a tiny cycling hat with a non-working (broken) animated gif of this :bear: on the bill?

get a 3in1 balaklava.

I already have one of those… it does nothing.

Link please.

Under Armour, balaklava, and a trackbike.com cap it sheds moisture very quickly and is quite warm.

I have something like this (except an incredibly obnoxious American flag print) and it works pretty well. Had to cut bigger holes over the mouth so it would vent better (my breath was coming up and fogging my glasses) but it fits well under my helmet and covers my ears.

It doesn’t cover the top of my head, but I’ve found I generally don’t need anything but a helmet down to about 20deg.

Balaklava. Mine has separate wholes for my mouth, nose, and eye area. I like it a lot. I stay very comfortable and its been below zero with windchill lately.

Sugoi and other cycling companies make skull caps. The sugoi one is thin, black, and stops just above the ears. Fits under helmets with minimal adjustment. I used mine down into the teens a few years ago and it was great. Some even have ear flaps, but I like the ones without.

I never understood why people would get the lame “do-rag” or bandanna things when a basic skull cap is much nicer.

yeah i gotta say get baklava

What brand/model?

Yum!

hell yeah

Petr feels me. good shit

[quote=“asterisk”]

Link please.[/quote]

there are a few companies that make them but these are the only pics i could find that show what it does. something like this:
http://www.thatsawrap-online.com/product/BCG001?meta=FRG

Ya’ll wear a balaclava in 30 deg weather? I’d be burning up if the ride was more than 10 min. I rode for two weeks when it was 15-20 every morning. I had a skull cap with ear flaps and a flannel scarf covering my nose and mouth. I usually had to pull the scarf down after 2-3 miles.

When it gets into the low teens I can see it, but for just around freezing, a balaclava is overkill.

[quote=“TimArchy”]Ya’ll wear a balaclava in 30 deg weather? I’d be burning up if the ride was more than 10 min. I rode for two weeks when it was 15-20 every morning. I had a skull cap with ear flaps and a flannel scarf covering my nose and mouth. I usually had to pull the scarf down after 2-3 miles.

When it gets into the low teens I can see it, but for just around freezing, a balaclava is overkill.[/quote]
The coffee shop isn’t more than 3 miles away, so balaklava is a good call.

i haven’t used my balaclava this winter but everyone’s different.

i wear a wool skully down to about 30. i think anything more is overkill. i only go for face coverage if it’s in the 20’s and windy.

I wear my klava all the time. just get one without a seam down the middle, it gets annoying. underarmor makes a good one. if you get hot you can always pull it under your chin.

neck beard, brah

I find a bandana and ear warmers/muffs sufficient until it goes down into the teens with the windchill. It helps having woolly hair.