best/longest Lasting brake pads?

looking for the longest lasting brake pads.

stopping power/ modulation isn’t really that big of a deal.

i just wore out a set of kool stop salmons in 3 days of riding. (rain/snow/sleet/gritty riding)

these are going on a set of nashbar cantilever brakes which look like direct copies of the avid shorty design. the brakes have v-brake pad holders, but i could remove the holders.

kool stops

shit, shoulda read post first

[quote=biekrider]i just wore out a set of kool stop salmons in 3 days of riding. (rain/snow/sleet/gritty riding)
[/quote]

How is this possible?

lots of descending in shitty grimy conditions?

Soma Everwear or Conti Gatorskin

Oh you said braeks???

inb4braeksr4fakes

Really?
I’ve NEVER worn out a set of brake pads. Not saying it’s not possible… but wow.
I have the same Kool stops (bkack in color) on my BMX bike for 10yrs of riding. Same pads on my Bianchi for 4000mi, and they were on it when i got it.

Wore out… does that mean wore all the way through them, or are they plenty thick enough, they just don’t grab?

i would rather go through brake pads than rims. the salmon pads are rim friendly. a pad made to last longer will likely be better at eating rims too. i ruined a pair of wheels last winter with cheap pads.

i run my pads until metal scrapes metal
road grit/wet/etc really is like taking a file to your brake pads & rims.
i’ve never ruined a rim though.
i really can’t afford $16+tax ( f & r kool stop salmon pads) / week.

this is going on a geared bike, so braks r a necessity

i guess i need a disc fork…

no long descents- boston is flat!

Dude, there’s no way you could run a pair of pads till “metal scrapes metal” in 3 days. Period.
Either this thread is full of lies or you’re doing it very, very wrong.

ps. disk brakes have pads too.
how you think they stop, voodoo?

[quote=Rusty Piton]ps. disk brakes have pads too.
how you think they stop, voodoo?[/quote]
disc pads usually last much longer than rim brake pads.

surprised no one has made a sex joek about longest lasting yet.

2008, Vermont 50, new V pads worn to metal on metal
2009, Vermont 50, new disc pads worn to metal on metal

I live in Seattle, commute year round and get about a year out of Kool Stop salmons on average. Been riding the same rims on my commuter since 2006. The rear is about toast, but still…

also, I could see disc pads not being as effected by the grime that easily reaches the rims. But I don’t have any actual insight.

We need more details. What rims are these? Where are you riding this? It’s hard to imagine this happening unless it’s some kind of gnarly offroad application. Like a Surly Pugsely x Xtracycle collabo used with 200lbs+ of cargo going up and down hills offroad on Kodiak Island while escaping from grizzly bears. Or something.

[quote=DaddyBear]2008, Vermont 50, new V pads worn to metal on metal
2009, Vermont 50, new disc pads worn to metal on metal[/quote]

Wait, are you saying you’ve (twice) worn through pads on a 50 mile ride? That’s impressive or something.

[quote=biekrider]i run my pads until metal scrapes metal
road grit/wet/etc really is like taking a file to your brake pads & rims.
i’ve never ruined a rim though.
i really can’t afford $16+tax ( f & r kool stop salmon pads) / week.

this is going on a geared bike, so braks r a necessity

i guess i need a disc fork…

no long descents- boston is flat![/quote]

I don’t think that you need to tell us how brake pads work. I also think that there’s either something wrong with your rims or something wrong with your setup if you’re burning through pads that quickly. How many miles a week are you putting down?