best/longest Lasting brake pads?

Clean your rims as soon as you get home, every day. If you have time to do a quick wipe-down when you get to work, that would be awesome, but probably not feasible. You can use very fine steel wool with simple green for really gnarly shit, but I can usually get crap off with a brush, a rag and simple green. If you do this already, then I don’t know what’s wrong. Almost definitely a rim problem, though. I’ve never heard of brake pads wearing out in three days. I’m from San Francisco, though, so maybe someone with significant cold weather experience can let me know if he or she also thinks that shit is crazy.

I understand road grim and grit and how it wears down pads faster, but 3 days? I’ve had kool stop salmon pads on my kilo for about a year and they aren’t work down that bad… I’ve put at least a couple thousand miles on that bike and a lot of those miles were when i had only 1 brake. Lots of rain, sand, road grime, etc… I have kool stop salmon pads on the back of my redline also, which i ride down a lot o fhills and use the brakes a lot… havent had any problems, though i’ve been using them only 5 months or so.

[quote=wotan][quote=DaddyBear]2008, Vermont 50, new V pads worn to metal on metal
2009, Vermont 50, new disc pads worn to metal on metal[/quote]

Wait, are you saying you’ve (twice) worn through pads on a 50 mile ride? That’s impressive or something.[/quote]

mtb race

Maybe carry an extra water bottle and hose them down occasionally to flush out grit. They definitely shouldn’t be wearing out in 3 days.

[quote=tombear][quote=wotan][quote=DaddyBear]2008, Vermont 50, new V pads worn to metal on metal
2009, Vermont 50, new disc pads worn to metal on metal[/quote]

Wait, are you saying you’ve (twice) worn through pads on a 50 mile ride? That’s impressive or something.[/quote]

mtb race[/quote]

sloppy mud bog with 9,000 feet of climb

Why you braking on climbs? total silliness.

LUL

Cos strong rider, used to mess in the 90s y’know. Eh’s a pretty cool guy and doesn’t afraid of anything.

Cos strong rider, used to mess in the 90s y’know. Eh’s a pretty cool guy and doesn’t afraid of anything.[/quote]

That sums it up nicely.

Biekrider we never learned more about the specific collection of bicycle parts + riding style that resulted in brand new brake pads wearing out in 3 days.