Bib Recommendations

It’s about that time again for me to get some new bibs. I’m in the market to spend around $100-150.

http://louisgarneau.com/catalogs/catalog_product.asp?catalogue=WU8&section=MC&sub_section=005&style_no=1058108&type_catalogue=&language=ENG&website=2 I’ve been riding some of these and they’re pretty chill but going on their last lap / wearing really thin in the quad region. Definitely like the thinner chamois over my older, cheaper “diaper-like” Pearl Izumi shorts.

So I’m down to try out whatever brand really, if someone has good things to say about it. Everyone loves Assos but on my budget I could only get their cheapest bibs. Oh, if anyone knows anywhere online that has the best deals, let me know…

One thing though, never heard a single good thing about gel chamois’s and not really down to drop money to give them a try…

I’ve been riding and liking the Izumi PRO bibs.

I’ve some Sugoi RS bibs and I don’t really feel like they’re significantly better than my $60 Voler bibs.

How you like the chamois?

adidas sucks.
the vents always rip out, ive had two pairs and that has happened

Right now Giordana Silverline bibs are number one is my shorts rotation.
pluses for me:
*The material feels really sexy
*Sized for Europeans not Americans (fuck you Performance bike and all your fat shit)
*Thin and firm chamois is comfy and wicks well
*Nifty mp3 pocket
minuses:
*Short inseam if you prefer longer
*Hand wash only, although I stick mine in the wash on gentle with the rest of my bike stuff and they are still fine after a couple thousand miles
I bought mine here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=32300
I think that they go for around $120 from US retailers.

Bicycling Hub usually has pretty good deals on Castelli and you can take a look at the pad before you buy.

I’m very happy with my Descente bibs. They fit well and are holding up nicely.

i’m in love with my descente bibs.

amazing company

+1

I have some Castelli bibs. They’re just “meh”.

Now I have it in my head that my Izumi bibs look like a diaper. thx nickatina.

Haha. Well mine fit shitty (in retrospect - I never realized it when they were my only pair, only after I got some better stuff) and have a super thick chamois (again, wasn’t a problem until I upgraded).

To dudes recommending Descente: thanks for the tip but which model?

Yeahyeah: thanks for the tip as well. Neither of those cons are bad for me… I hand wash my cycling clothes a lot anyway and sometimes air dry them if it’s sunny and I have the time. Also shorter is better than longer.

i think that i am on the brink of converting to all things specialized bg for contact points.
i don’t have any bibs yet, but am really looking forward to the day when i can own a pair or two.

Hincapie is always good stuff.
Castelli doesn’t seem to last as long as it should…

[quote=lot_22]i think that i am on the brink of converting to all things specialized bg for contact points.
i don’t have any bibs yet, but am really looking forward to the day when i can own a pair or two.[/quote]

Word. I’m looking to get some of those Specialized footbeds soon.

[quote=trackatino][quote=lot_22]i think that i am on the brink of converting to all things specialized bg for contact points.
i don’t have any bibs yet, but am really looking forward to the day when i can own a pair or two.[/quote]

Word. I’m looking to get some of those Specialized footbeds soon.[/quote]
they will change your life.

I bought some Rapha bibs when they were on sale (around $120) and they are really nice and durable.
Definitely better than the PIs I was using before.
Anyone have any experience with the Voler bibs that are real cheap through Hammer?

they’re OK, not great. fit is VERy loose relative to any other bibs i’ve tried, and I got some pretty gnarly chafing from the chamois recently. switched over to my Zipps for a few days, added some chamois butter, and taint recovered nicely. the Zipps are even cheaper off bonktown, so i’d reccomend those over the Hammer/Volers.