Bicycle Secrets

I have the Crank Brother M19 multitool. I like it and have never had any issues

Protip, if you’re gonna bring a quick link, bring a small shitty chain tool too. It sucks trying to bang a pin out with a rock.

My multi-tool tool is a lezyne and its been great, I don’t leave the house without that either. That and horizontal drop-outs once saved my arse 3 days into a very hilly 5 day dirt brevet. I guess the minimum distance I ride is about an hour so if I break my chain I am pretty much stuffed without a quick link. I’ve never done the first aid kit thing. I don’t know why. Probably just been lucky. I should think about it for longer rides.

Hell yeah. A power-link by itself is not gonna fix much. Luckily small shitty chain tools come by default in multi-tools. Some of them you can take off the multi-tool if you are that weenery.

I wouldn’t even consider a multitool which doesn’t have a built-in chain breaker. After flat tires, it’s literally the most common form of trail or roadside failure.

Syncros multitool/bottle cage has magnets to hold the quick links. So good.

I haven’t bought a multi tool in at least 10 years. In that time, I’ve accumulated a couple from seat bags of bikes I’ve bought. None have chain tools.

Thanks for reminding me to buy a second chain-breaker-multitool for my other bike

i like that blackburn!

looks good, but I really do not get L-shaped allen keys on a multitool. When are they an improvement?

I can think of a few tight places where they are useful, especially on multitools with big fat bodies. Certain MTB brake lever adjustments. FD clamp bolts. Some bottle cage screws. Rear fender attachment near the BB.

On that Blackburn tool one of the L is needed for using the quick link separator.

It appears as though I was correct.

[quote=Sunrace]Sun Race RS3 11-Speed Cassette
The SunRace RS3 11-speed cassette will work on a traditional 9/10-speed Shimano compatible freehub body allowing you to update your drivetrain with out the need to purchase a new set of wheels. The Sun Race RS3 cassette is compatible with SRAM and Shimano drivetrains. Included with the SunRace RS3 cassette is a steel lockring.

If you are going to use the SunRace RS3 11-speed cassette on a bike that has an 11-speed road freehub body you will need to use a spacer.[/quote]

Nice.

Been slinging Sun Race cassettes since Outpost opened overall good feels.

Mid level stuff doesn’t seem to be quite a durable as Shimano but it shifts just fine.

This new jibber jabber will come in handy I’m sure.

Exactly. Not really anything to get excited about, but it’s extremely useful to know that this is out there for ~$50. I have laying around three different pairs of Shimano 9 or 10 speed wheels, which between this and the HG800, have moved from dinosaurs legacy wheels I needed to sell quickly, to cross-compatible with the three different major modern drivetrains.

For better or for worse King ISO and Industry 9 trail wheels are now 11 speed road compatible. As a owner of both that’s a win.

This^, at least for sups trail wheels and tubulars built coz wanted to keep same hubs. (why I was stoked on Shimano on, for sure)
Not sure we really race cross anymore, though.

I had no idea that King and I9 were so behind the times, but for me the real cool thing is the ability to take something like an old XTR 9-speed hub and repurpose it for an 11 speed drivetrain.

I don’t think they’re currently behind the times, just there’s a lot of behind the times product floating around.
(I also have King classics that are now no longer obsolete!)

i9 made 11s disc at the time, but I wanted one of the wheel sets with colorful spokes as an engagment thing (120pts of engagement), which was mtb only. Thus only 10s shimano or xd driver, the latter of which wasn’t compatible with her 2x11 shimano/worth the effort to make work at the time. Matchy-match makes you do weird things, but it appears the universe is saying it will all balance out now.

i9 made 11s disc at the time, but I wanted one of the wheel sets with colorful spokes as an engagment thing (120pts of engagement), which was mtb only. Thus only 10s shimano or xd driver, the latter of which wasn’t compatible with her 2x11 shimano/worth the effort to make work at the time. Matchy-match makes you do weird things, but it appears the universe is saying it will all balance out now.[/quote]

I’m glad i9 finally got that together, I emailed them a year and a half asking about 11sp Shimano road compatability, and they were working on it then. I was looking for an alternative to CK, which has some labor issues and also their new disc hubsets are 800 entire dollars. Luckily, someone clued me into DT350 as a good (if drab) alternative, and two wheelsets later, they’re plugging along just fine.