Bicycle Touring

Please discuss relevant issues here.

i thought there was a forever bike lane
i was wrong

so i ran into this faggot today at the bike rack who wuz like “d00000000000000000000000000000000000000000d noice fixeeeeeeeeeeee!”

I want to do a short one from Eugene, OR to Crater Lake and back this summer. Anyone done it?

If my wife isn’t down (I don’t think she thinks I’m serious), anybody want to go with me?

I’d be taking Amtrak with my bike/stuff down from Seattle, I’d be down to ride from Portland and leave out of Eugene too, but I don’t know if I can take that much time off work.

This would probably late July/early August if it happens.

Is this that thing where you buy a brooks, go for a ride and never come back?

Was supposed to do a C&O Canal ride in 2 weekends but friend got a new job and can’t take the time off. Bummerz.

Dual plate rando crown is in for the custom touring frame, whee.

36 hole Phil Wood Touring cassette hub came in today, whee. Gonna lace it to DT Swiss TK 7.1 methinks

I got a set of 36h Ultegras that I need to lace to something. Suggestions? TK 7.1 are wide, heavy, and expensive like an A719.

Cross posted from where it was to where it should be

Pace will depend on a lot of things (wind, hillyness, # of riders, daily hours on the bike, loaded weight…). I’d strongly recommend trying an overnight camping trip or mini-tour before trying something like this. It’ll give you a better idea on your pace than anyone else can plus it’ll allow you to work out any problems in your setup.

I’ve done a bit of clandestine camping. You should be ok as long as you’re polite and discrete, though a night in a campground or hotel room and the possibility of a hot shower is a welcome treat after a few day on the road.

In the past I’ve tried planning my food ahead of time but now I find bringing very little is the best option. Unless you’re in a totally remote area, chances are you’ll pass by places that sell food a bunch of times every day. I usually bring peanut butter since it’s one of the foods with the most calories for it’s weight. Lots of protein too, plus it’s good with fruit, raw veggies and countless bread-like things which may be purchased along the way.[/quote]

i got two panniers and a brooks and a bike with room for big tires and cantis

next step: ride the damn thing >40 miles

pussy, i rode 33 miles fixed brakeless EASY

I rode 60 miles on Sunday, EASY. Mostly, because it was slow. The slow part actually wasn’t all that great as I spent more time on the bike than I am accustomed to. I was surprisingly not saddle-sore at all. I think I need to plan an over night trip with the BOB trailer. That might be fun.

I really want to start bike touring this summer, with the goal of doing something like a cross-country trip next summer.

I’m thinking about building a touring bike right now, and the Long Haul Trucker seems to be the base standard of affordable quality. Can anyone suggest any other good loaded touring frames (that are sold as framesets)?

Also, is it overly redundant to have both a LHT and a Crosscheck?

There are always solid old touring frames up on ebay for a few hundred. If you snached something for $250, you’d easily be able to do a bar-end shifter build for under a thousand. Isn’t that about what the LHT is going for?

I’d go used daedlus. There are a lot of people trying to unload their LHTs, because of its nature. Not redundant, but I wish I had just gotten a cross check and not an LHT. I’ll be singing a different song when I’m touring again though.

[quote=tarckeemoon]I want to do a short one from Eugene, OR to Crater Lake and back this summer. Anyone done it?

If my wife isn’t down (I don’t think she thinks I’m serious), anybody want to go with me?

I’d be taking Amtrak with my bike/stuff down from Seattle, I’d be down to ride from Portland and leave out of Eugene too, but I don’t know if I can take that much time off work.

This would probably late July/early August if it happens.[/quote]

Nope, but I’ve been to Crater Lake as a child, shit was so cash. But really, very nice place. I remember riding down one of the gravel paths at the campsites there and eating it hard at the bottom of a hill. My foot slipped off the pedal and I fucked up my palms and knees pretty bad.

crater lake is easily the most beautiful place i’ve ever been.

Tarckers, tell us the best place you’ve ever toured.

Should my friend get this:

http://bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm
For our NOLA ride?

my answer would have to be yes or no

Yeah. I got to see a sneak preview of the new Ken Burns film on the National Parks last week (and met Ken Burns). There was some really incredible footage of Crater Lake. I want to go NOW before everyone sees it and gets the same idea. It looks so badass.