big ass bikes

my buddy needs one. he’s 6’6" with a 3’4" inseam. would a 62cm steamroller be big enough (obviously an store would better answer this but i’m just scoping a ballpark response before we head to the lbs next week) or should he be looking for a 64cm+ frame?

ps. post big-person bikes itt

64+ frames aren’t too readily available, or at least won’t be in stock, at most shops. A lot of it will depend on the reach he needs, which can only really be determined when he’s actually on the bike.

Bill Walton’s big-person bike FTW.

im 6’7" and ried a 64cm motomess

36" inseam

[quote=“solbrothers”]im 6’7" and ried a 64cm motomess

36" inseam[/quote]

whoa.

sup girl

I’m 6’3" with 34.5" inseam and I have been riding between 61 and 64 ctc. The trick for me is finding a relatively short TT.

thats my problem too.

he’s been for a fitting and a 62cm with a bit of bonus seatpost looks to be the best way to go in order to get his arms and legs where they should be. thanks for the replies guise

[quote=“stever”]my buddy needs one. he’s 6’6" with a 3’4" inseam. would a 62cm steamroller be big enough (obviously an store would better answer this but i’m just scoping a ballpark response before we head to the lbs next week) or should he be looking for a 64cm+ frame?

ps. post big-person bikes itt[/quote]

40" inseam? whoah.

yeah, dude has freakishly long legs. we were the same height up til year 9 and then all of a sudden he grew half a foot, all in his legs

I’m 6’4" with about a 36" inseam and the best-fitting bike I’ve ever found is a 66 cm Schwinn Traveler with a 62 cm top tube. I’d say, if he can find one, to go for something bigger than a 64, unless he wants a lot of saddle to bar drop.

[attachment=0]1987 Schwinn Traveler.jpg[/attachment]

tarck is about a lot of saddle to drops drop

I find it is easy to find big bikes with short top tubes because they all seem to be like that. I am 6’6" and ride 61cm+ bikes. My bikes range from 61cm to a jumbo 66cm (polo bike!). I have more seat to bar drop on the 61 compared to the 66cm, but in many cases the top tubes are close. The bikes I consider a little small for me all have a 58cm top tube. My preferred top tube is around 60cm or so. My new Surly LHT (first brand new bike in 5 years!) has a 61cm top tube. I had two track bikes and currently have a cross bike all with 61cm top tubes. The 62cm Steamroller has a 60.8cm top tube so that is a suitable tall person bike even though it is “only” a 62cm frame.

Basically I am saying top tube measurement is generally more important than seat tube measurement. If he goes for a vintage road bike prepare to need a longer seatpost. I have to buy new seat posts for every single one of my bikes because the stock ones are way to short.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to near perfect on my new bike. 64 st ctc 58 tt ctc 125 stem.

Update!

I got a 63 cm Kilo TT yesterday and it’s fucking huge. More like a 66 cm, which I expected with a 35.5" standover and 63 cm TT. Definitely a good choice for extra tall motherfuckers.

You have a lot of shoes and wheels.