Bike blog thread

[quote=ICU81MI]
Agree that marketers need to come up with a better name, though.[/quote]

maybe “Hybrid”?

Allaggregate

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]
maybe “Hybrid”?[/quote]
lol, my first thought

just call it a fuckin bike and call road bikes racing bikes since that’s what they are

Road bike ≠race bike

[quote=ICU81MI]I could definitely see “gravel” bikes outpacing the road category, as they are basically the road bikes that people almost everyone should be buying.
[/quote]

basically road bikes…
just not a high-performance road bike. If there’s a 40mm+ tire that feels awesome when you’re absolutely sprinting and then railing a bunch of tight corners, or when you’re making small course corrections when climbing, I’d love to know about it.

I’m not mad that a slightly longer wheelbase seems to be getting baked into the new road template, less sure about the super-slack hta’s that are common.

Ultimately, my money will be on this being more long-tail division of consumer use cases. Allroad eats some road and mtb share on the sports end of things, makes commuting and casual riding a lot more awesome for a lot of people. Which is great. dual shocks and 23mm tires equally suck if you just want to ride to work and maybe get some exercise sometimes. I guess it depends on whether someone’s buying an allroad instead of a hybrid or instead of a road or xc bike.
Maybe gravel racing really really takes off in its own right, in which case it’s anyone’s guess what the market will look like in a decade.

Something, something, spirited riding, something…

Maybe this is old news but I just saw this for the first time.

[youtube]qn21g6blXu8[/youtube]

[quote=iwillbe][If there’s a 40mm+ tire that feels awesome when you’re absolutely sprinting and then railing a bunch of tight corners, or when you’re making small course corrections when climbing, I’d love to know about it.
[/quote]

short wheel base, standard (on the side of low) bb drop.

the frame i put together is not there. ive got ~700km on the bike and … ill update my thread

We are basically already there. Over the next few years, I fully expect the “road” category is going to shrink to a fraction of what it was, probably becoming something like what it was before the Lance era, when road bikes were obscure machines sold primarily to fanatics and racers. The “gravel” category is steamrolling road.

[quote=Tail Hook Lengthener]
We are basically already there. Over the next few years, I fully expect the “road” category is going to shrink to a fraction of what it was, probably becoming something like what it was before the Lance era, when road bikes were obscure machines sold primarily to fanatics and racers. The “gravel” category is steamrolling road.[/quote]

Huh. The only bike shop I go to is Braden’s, so I’m not at all hip to what’s happening in The Industry in general.
The snob in me really likes the idea of road bikes going back to being these ultra-cult machines, but not if it means that spare parts are in any way inconvenient to come across.

If you can’t fit a bigger tire than a 28 and your saddle is uncomfortable without bibs, you’re on a racing bike.

On any bike I hope you saddle would be comfortable.

Debatable and I don’t even race bikes.

My point is that as soon as we detach race bike from road bike we have bikes that are a lot more flexible in use. If I never rode my CG on dirt I’d still consider it to be a fine road bike.

lol

I was always wondering when that would happen. I remember seeing the name and thinking “That’s a lawsuit waiting to happen.”

That bike’s been out, what, 4-5 years and just now there’s a lawsuit?

shit, he was 400 pounds? damn.

The lawsuit is a few years old, actually. I think it was just settled.