BikeLife- Requesting your input

#1 for sure we should get waffle ride activated/backtivated

#2 where are you working? if in hillsboro or by the airport defs look into a place nearer the max. maybe ride east to the greenline? if in the couve get into ctrans. being warm and dry a couple times a week aint no thing.

#3 get a $500 nissan with good tags, tires and working lights and drive that bish

Thank you for creating such an honest and well-thought-out thread. Lots of good shit here, including the video that Les posted. Seen it before and have drawn much strength from it. Living the bikelife in SLC in your mid-30s is soul crushing.

Whatever you do, a shorter commute is the best thing to do. I’ve heard that commute length is one of the major causes of life stress and dissatisfaction. All those silly bitches that bought houses they couldn’t afford all the way out in the burbs just so they could have an extra guest room for granny to stay in when she visits twice a year weren’t thinking too hard. Even if where you live / work isn’t close to where you socialize the most, it is still better to get home quick, decompress, and then choose what you do next. I’d imagine your current situation sucks the most because you’re not only lonely but feel powerless. Having choices makes a huge difference.

I never want to live further away than 5 miles from a job ever again.

[quote=ryanoceros]Thank you for creating such an honest and well-thought-out thread. Lots of good shit here, including the video that Les posted. Seen it before and have drawn much strength from it. Living the bikelife in SLC in your mid-30s is soul crushing.

Whatever you do, a shorter commute is the best thing to do. I’ve heard that commute length is one of the major causes of life stress and dissatisfaction. All those silly bitches that bought houses they couldn’t afford all the way out in the burbs just so they could have an extra guest room for granny to stay in when she visits twice a year weren’t thinking too hard. Even if where you live / work isn’t close to where you socialize the most, it is still better to get home quick, decompress, and then choose what you do next. I’d imagine your current situation sucks the most because you’re not only lonely but feel powerless. Having choices makes a huge difference.

I never want to live further away than 5 miles from a job ever again.[/quote]

Well put. Living close to work is where it’s at, regardless of how you get there. I really couldn’t be happier with my own situation in this area.

I used to drive 32 miles each way to work. Now I ride 2 miles each way or walk one mile (there’s this one hill…) it has really helped my state of mind.

That’s all I’ve got.

^Totally agree with the above sentiments re: living close to work. I had a ~90 mile RT car commute for about 18 months and it was probably the worst working experience of my career to date (I think I mentioned this before).

Regardless of how you get to/from work, if it’s taking you close to an hour to get there, it’s too far away. Be closer, whether that means moving towards your work or finding work closer to you. If you live close enough, you can walk, ride, take the bus or drive, per your mood… that’s pretty fucking nice.

Eh, I drive 37 miles each way to work and I relish the time to myself. Previously, my job was 8 minutes away by car. Way too short. Rode my bike most of the time.

I’ve done the other extreme and don’t recommend it. I once lived directly next door to my work. There are some good things about it, like the 30 second commute from bed to time clock. Calling in sick and still trying to get anything done can be a pain in the ass.

Two other things I recommend in the bike life:

-On-site washer and dryer.

-Extremely close super market. Maybe even closer than work.

I have neither at the moment and it’s annoying.

I used to live a twisty half-hour drive from any kind of market or grocer. That was annoying.

having a car is nice.
it’s even better when you have a shitty old beater that looks like shit a little bit, but drives handles brakes and runs like it’s supposed to…
cheap liability insurance and no fckn car note.
yeah a nice new car would be nice but fuck a car note man.

i ride pretty much everywhere i go.
grocery store about 1.5 miles from house.
work about 3.5 miles from house.
most of the people i hang with live within 3-8 miles of house.
i think the good pub is about 4 miles from house.

i could do everything i needed to do without a car but the car makes it so much nicer.
if i wanna take the dagz over to dook’s house or to the pub or some shit then i can do that.
don’t have to leave my nice bass guitar at the practice space coz car.
can make a quick trip to the brew store after work via car if i really need to.
can go out to the good plant nursery outside of town coz car.

if i didn’t have a car i would have to really plan out shit i’d have to get done on the weekends by bicycle coz not enough time on weekdays after work to take care of that shit.
so yeah.
i like having a car.