Brick and mortar stores are starting to tick me off

Someone just tried to sell me a used bike for more then the MSRP new. They insisted it was new and that I should get fitted first and they would find the “high end road bike” for me.

It was a cyclocross bike. The crank was all skuffed on the drive side (from a fall, not shoe rub), bartape was not the stock color and worn in with death grip marks and it had a bunch of stickers on the chain stays. They wanted almost $2800something for it. New it’s $2600.

Who else has lost faith in the whole brick and mortar LBS thing?

i.

like any other “niche” store i guess you could say, everyone around here seems to have a holier than thou attitude.
i usually end up telling them how things work, and i don’t know shit about how bikes work.

i’ve never purchased a new bike in my life.

my parents did by junky kids bikes for me when i wuz a kid, but that dont count.

come on, it really depends on the store. of course, since i work in one, i’ve realized how much stupid people get ripped off. for example, the folks that come in to get a tune up b/c they either blew out a tire, or just never tried to reinflate it after it sat in the garage all winter. $8 heavy duty tube, $8 for the install, more if i have to take the wheel off the bike.
$25ish for cleaning if you brought in a filthy bike for a tune up. hand washed by some moronic local kid who rides a next bike to the shop.

I guess I’m just bumming because I really liked the bike, and since it was used I figured I could maybe get a slight deal on it. I was ready with cash in hand basically.

I was also annoyed with her attitude about the whole thing. I come in, wearing my cleats, in bike gear, I rode there, talking about the drive train on the bike and how its just the setup I’ve been looking for and it’s in my size and she insisting I get fitted first…

brick and mortar? where does this term come from i dont get it

i really don’t like any of the shops near my house. there are two shops i like, but on the north/campus side of town, so i can’t really make a quick trip to stop in during the week.

you can hate on real shops if you want, but it sucks to pay $5 shipping if you need something like a single bolt or a headset topcap or something along those lines

Some shops will always try and dick you. The other day in Boston I needed brake cables just the cables and the guy kept trying to sell me a full set of dura ace with housing. I finally had to say, “just the cables that you have in back”.

when i finally decided to put my brake on all the cables i had were all janky so i took it down to the shop to have them put it on for me because i kinda hate dealing with brakes anyway and ended up giving them like $25. never again.

on the other hand, that shop only charges $40 for deepVs so it evens out.

they are also technically bankrupt, tell you the credit card machine is broken (sometimes it actually is) because they want cash because they dont pay taxes if they dont have to, and the owner likes speed a lot.

oh and by the way - wal mart has a “bell” cable kit for like $3. (i go in there for cruiser tubes)

I’m lucky. Chicago has Yojimbo’s Garage. Plus, Ben’s isn’t that far away.

Most are staffed with either people who just started (high turn over), snob elitists, or generally cool people. Find the place that gives you the least resistance. Generally when I need something I’ll grab the QBP number from an online shop, take it to the LBS and tell them to add it to the next order (most shops order at least once or twice a week.) Saves a shit ton of back and forth and no shipping costs.

[quote=“room203”]when i finally decided to put my brake on all the cables i had were all janky so i took it down to the shop to have them put it on for me because i kinda hate dealing with brakes anyway and ended up giving them like $25. never again.

they are also technically bankrupt, tell you the credit card machine is broken (sometimes it actually is) because they want cash because they dont pay taxes if they dont have to, and the owner likes speed a lot.

[/quote]

he may be a crackhead, but he sells sweet pink toe clips for 3bucks each!!

I don’t know if you’re joking or not, but the term “brick and mortar” comes from the fact that a retail storefront would likely be built of bricks (of some kind) and mortar, whereas an online storefront has only a digital presence.

As awesome a guy as Marcus is… and an awesome shop as yojimbos… I seriously can’t afford the markup on some of his parts.
Marcus and the other dude are great, huge advocates for the track and cyclists and I love to shoot shit with them. But I can’t ever support their shop because I just can’t justify paying that much more for stuff, even to help out the shop.

wanted to charge me 180.00 for a Nitto Jag seatpost and 190.00 for a DA7600 hub? Comon. 200.00 for used 75’s.

I go in there every time I’m in chicago, and more often then not, I come out empty handed.

Am I just being harsh or something?

I don’t know if you’re joking or not, but the term “brick and mortar” comes from the fact that a retail storefront would likely be built of bricks (of some kind) and mortar, whereas an online storefront has only a digital presence.[/quote]

oh okay. i thought it had something to do with the difference of a small business LBS and the retail chains like performance and bike barn. i’ve honestly never heard of an establishment that has a physical address and store hours as “brick and mortar”

I like my lbs. Well actually now that I think about it, it really depends on who’s working when I go in. Like some always give me at least 20% off and the others always charge me full price.

[quote=“thehappyrobot”][quote=“room203”]when i finally decided to put my brake on all the cables i had were all janky so i took it down to the shop to have them put it on for me because i kinda hate dealing with brakes anyway and ended up giving them like $25. never again.

[/quote]

he may be a crackhead, but he sells sweet pink toe clips for 3bucks each!![/quote]

I really only find value in a shop if it sells quirky shit that’s 20 years old

I want pink clips bad. And straps.