Built my first wheel

NOS Rigida low profile rim and Kogswell low flange hub, DT Swiss double butted spokes, and brass nipples.

all in pieces

bling blang

I was really surprised how easy it was, it only took about an hour. I did it by looking at another 32h 3 cross wheel, and only checked Sheldon’s instructions after I finished, just to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Can’t ride it till the new fork comes in the mail, and get a cog and stuff installed. :frowning:

Think it looks ok? Those two wheels?

Looks great! Things get more complicated when you’ve gotta dish wheels, though.

i was going to pitch a bitch over the label placement, but i noticed that they’re opposite the valve stem.

i built a rear the same way; basing it off another 32 3x i had laying around. worked well for me. it seemed to be easier than i thought it should be, and it was, because then i had to get rid of the hop, which took forever. you may not have had that problem because i was a bit impatient and tightened up the spokes a bit too much without keeping tarck of how many times i turned the nipples.

did you build that without a truing stand?

love the way that leader looks with low-profile rims, btw. classy.

Oh I’m sure. I just had to flip the thing around a couple times to get it reasonably centered.

The hop was kind of hard to take out but it’s gone. I counted turning each nipple 10 times, so it was pretty close to true and round before I even messed with it, and then I added 2 more turns to get the tension up.

Thanks. I almost bought an Hplusson rim instead, I’m glad I went with this.

Thanks. I almost bought an Hplusson rim instead, I’m glad I went with this.[/quote]
Not a terrible direction to go in if you had though.

I’m about to build up my first wheelset soon too. I have the spokes, hubs and nipples sitting in my room waiting for the rims to ship from ebikesuck.com. I’m a little nervous about it.

Well done Blicks!
Looks awesome!
Let us know how you like the kogswell.

Looks good Mina. As long as the spoke tension is even and the “105” is pointed straight at the valve stem you get 5 out of 5 mander points.

I like the old rims without a welded joint. A retrogrouch on another forum convinced me that that’s a good way to go, because the pull from the spokes tends to keep everything together extremely well. I can’t wait to build up my MA2/ Ultegra wheelset.

[quote=“mander”]Looks good Mina. As long as the spoke tension is even and the “105” is pointed straight at the valve stem you get 5 out of 5 mander points.

I like the old rims without a welded joint. A retrogrouch on another forum convinced me that that’s a good way to go, because the pull from the spokes tends to keep everything together extremely well. I can’t wait to build up my MA2/ Ultegra wheelset.[/quote]

I didn’t build the Campy/105 wheel, the guy I bought it from did. He actually did forget to point the label at the valve hole, I didn’t on mine though.

Heh brass nipples. Always makes me laugh.

Looks good. MAKE ME SUM? K?

Nice job, Blicks, I’m glad you were able to put that Kogswell to use. I’m still going to pick up a set to build, I just want to get settled in my new place first.

[quote=“blickblocks”][quote=“mander”]Looks good Mina. As long as the spoke tension is even and the “105” is pointed straight at the valve stem you get 5 out of 5 mander points.

I like the old rims without a welded joint. A retrogrouch on another forum convinced me that that’s a good way to go, because the pull from the spokes tends to keep everything together extremely well. I can’t wait to build up my MA2/ Ultegra wheelset.[/quote]

I didn’t build the Campy/105 wheel, the guy I bought it from did. He actually did forget to point the label at the valve hole, I didn’t on mine though.[/quote]

On my first wheel, an XT/DT Swiss TK 7.1 front, i laced it so that it’s off by one spoke hole. It’s hard to tell because of how the logo is, but you can definitely see it if you look. The shame!

sweet

will be building a front wheel for my bike after i move next week. i need to pick a hub though . . . i know i want high flange but phils cost to damn much

American Classic? IRO?

I don’t like Formulas but for the front it might be ok. The shitty hardware has no grip and tends to crack in half but that might only be a rear problem, pulling force and all that.

i saw that harris cyclery has a hub now that just looks like a re-branded formula. i may pick one of them up, i just love the way phils look . . . . . i’ll just have to sacrifice looks for practicality

Whoah, kogswell hub. Those look awesome, mind linking me? I did a search but couldn’t find anything. The Kogswell site is also pretty unhelpful.

Can’t tell if you got the spoke crossings right, but I’m going to assume you did and say good job!

woooowww that kogswell hub has nice fuckin hardware, reminds me of a bmx hub i used to have. and low flange to low profile seems to be a lost art on todays party fouls unless its on the track.

im glad you discovered the world of wheelbuilds! should keep you busy during winter months.

They’re discontinued. I emailed Matthew at Kogswell and this is what he had to say:

[quote]It’s a good hub.

I could talk for an hour about why it’s so good. But the
bottom line is that most folks don’t care. They’re happy
with Formula hubs.

The other thing is that we’ve gone to using bolt-on cogs:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=kogswellcycles

And I have also learned to dislike cartridge bearings.

So my next goal is to find a Taiwanese hub shop that
will make loose ball hubs with bearings surfaces as
nice as 1970s Campy hubs.

Wish me luck.

Matthew[/quote]

I got the hub from Shants, it was given to him to review but he never actually laced it up. It’s too bad they’re not still made because they’re much nicer than Formulas and still affordable.