By the way, the rollout of inexpensive SRAM bikes is beginning.

Saw this at Performance for $1200ish yesterday with Rival hanging off of it. Looking past the hideous paintjob and the Mongoose brand name, it really did seem like a decent bike. Not that I would ever buy it or anything.

green brown and orange

who the fuck let the hiking-camping-outdoors people design them colourways

man, that’s an ugly bike.

Doooooooo it, CKD.

I’d ride it. It looks like they fucked up the decal placement, though.

looks like SRAM is going to be on the pista too

[quote=edw]looks like SRAM is going to be on the pista too

http://urbanvelo.org/bianchi-pista-via-brera-2010-preview/[/quote]

That’s just asinine - a freewheel bike shipping with no brakes.

Their market share is still a small fraction of Shimano’s, but SRAM is eating Shimano’s lunch right now. When we see how many 2010 bikes are spec’ed with the SRAM road groups (previously Shimano’s bread and butter), we’ll have an idea of how bad next year will be for them, too.

so, at least in that photo, they put older rival shifters and derailleurs on a bike with some shitty canti’s and a so-so crankset and bb on an ugly frame. that is not a good deal.

This seems healthy. Given that Campagnolo has all but conceded the market to Shimano, it feels health for there to be another choice. The fact that they are inter-operable is probably a great thing for the consumer.

I agree.

It’s really smart of Sram to get specced on bikes like these. The $1000-1300 consumer is not used to seeing Sram on a bike and may not even consider it until seeing on a bike like this at Performance. And paint job aside that same spec on just about any more respected brand would cost $500 more than the Moongoose so for someone looking for an affordable “race ready” cross bike the Mongoose is a good option. I’m a Cannondale rider these days but their $1200ish cross bike has Tiagra and super crappy fsa crank. I’m sure I’ll lose some sales to a bike like the Mongoose. Oh well.

I hate the shit cranks they put on $1k+ bikes. I am sure they have figured out it is a part most consumers don’t think about, but a good proportion of them are just junk.

I hate the shit cranks they put on $1k+ bikes. I am sure they have figured out it is a part most consumers don’t think about, but a good proportion of them are just junk.[/quote]

I like it… wheels and cranks are the things an upgrade makes the most difference on. If someone comes in looking to lighten their bike up and it has a crappy crank and wheels it makes them happy when they can actually feel a difference when the perform the always important “lift test”. You can spend as much on carbon bars as a 7800 Dura-ace crank. Which one is going to help lighten and stiffen a bike more?
If someone can only swing around $1200 and wants to race, a caad9 with so-so parts is the BEST option out there in a new bike.

I tell this to any customer who asks, though few do, since I’m not in sales. Our Cannondale rep said that they were considering a CAAD9 with Rival for '10. The price was going to be under $2000, which still seems pretty high to me, but I guess they consider to be a good deal.

I don’t think i’m smart enough to comprehend this- srams miniscule market share on OEM groups is killing shimano?

huh.

I’ve seen the FSA Gossamer Compact spec’d on a lot of bikes. I’ve got one in my parts bin and I’ve installed another. It’s a cheap crank, granted. People complain about the FSA sucking, but I don’t see what’s wrong with it. It’s 850ish grams, so not too heavy, and seems to work. Someone care to enlighten me?

[quote=biekridder]I don’t think i’m smart enough to comprehend this- srams miniscule market share on OEM groups is killing shimano?

huh.[/quote]

SRAM’s market share is not miniscule - between Rock Shox, Truvativ, Zipp, and Avid, there’s probably at least one SRAM item on almost every bike sold in most shops in America. Now they’re starting to chip away at Shimano dominance in middle-to-high end road, and SRAM’s XX group is going to be the next “must-have” thing for MTB in 2010. If you don’t believe me, maybe you’ll believe this.

I never said it was “killing Shimano,” stop putting words in my mouth.

They don’t shift well. If you replace the rings the 2 piece ones are great cranks. Cancellara was using them a few years ago.

Was wondering about this.

How did I miss this? FSA shifting is terrible, absolutely the worst in the industry. The common phrase among shops is that FSA stands for “Front Shifting Abnormalities” due to all the trouble with their crap rings. It’s so notoriously bad that Giant stopped shipping FSA on all their TCRs and, at this point, I believe only have one bike with an FSA crank (an entry-level Defy).

I’m sure you could replace the rings and be OK as dutret said, but it’s be smarter to spend the money up front for a decent cranks like the 105.

I’m wondering if this also applies to their aftermarket rings?