carbon cranks on a track bike?

i just got my hands on a pair of fsa carbon cranks. i like the idea of putting them on my iro, but would the pressures of a fixed gear drive train be too great for them?
they’re got a bolted on spider, which is really my biggest concern.
any experience?

Brakeless would sketch me out.

Personally I have no experience but the Fuji Track Pros have been coming with carbon cranks lately.

They’re fine, unless you want to do chainring grinds and sprocket stalls. Seriously, we’ve been convinced somehow that carbon anything will explode the moment you look at it wrong. Someone says it, then they cite some extreme case and act like a steel [component] would have made everything hunky dory.

Of course, if I were you, I’d sell the carbon cranks, buy something more economical, and spend the profit on other fun stuff.

[quote=“deadforkinglast”]They’re fine, unless you want to do chainring grinds and sprocket stalls. Seriously, we’ve been convinced somehow that carbon anything will be super awesome and is always better for all components. Someone says it, then they cite some extreme case and act like a steel [component] would have made everything hunky dory.
[/quote]

Fixed.

[quote=“deadforkinglast”]They’re fine, unless you want to do chainring grinds and sprocket stalls. Seriously, we’ve been convinced somehow that carbon anything will explode the moment you look at it wrong. Someone says it, then they cite some extreme case and act like a steel [component] would have made everything hunky dory.

Of course, if I were you, I’d sell the carbon cranks, buy something more economical, and spend the profit on other fun stuff.[/quote]
so is there something better (read, lighter and stiffer) i should be looking for?
i really don’t want the answer to be sugino 75s

i guess i could buy shants’ cranks- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1290

[quote=“bward1028”][quote=“deadforkinglast”]They’re fine, unless you want to do chainring grinds and sprocket stalls. Seriously, we’ve been convinced somehow that carbon anything will explode the moment you look at it wrong. Someone says it, then they cite some extreme case and act like a steel [component] would have made everything hunky dory.

Of course, if I were you, I’d sell the carbon cranks, buy something more economical, and spend the profit on other fun stuff.[/quote]
so is there something better (read, lighter and stiffer) i should be looking for?
i really don’t want the answer to be sugino 75s[/quote]

If you have the money and are looking for something light and stiff why not Dura-Ace track stuff or SRAM Omniums?

I for one thing carbon cranks are a tad bit gimmicky.

i don;t have really anything more to spend, and i got a really good deal on them from a friend.
i want something that’s light and kind of nice. got carbon bars and a nice wheelset, so i thought that a nice crankset might follow.
just wanted to have someone assuage my doubts of the safety. i’m going to be using them on the track at least a couple of times in the next month or so, so i’d like them not to totally fail

I think you should be fine. For the most part carbon is cheaper to manufacture then other materials (or at least its getting that way) so a lot of “expensive carbon stuff” (eg carbon bottle cages, carbon spacers, etc…) is just part of upgrade frenzy hence my dislike of them.

[quote=“bward1028”][quote=“deadforkinglast”]They’re fine, unless you want to do chainring grinds and sprocket stalls. Seriously, we’ve been convinced somehow that carbon anything will explode the moment you look at it wrong. Someone says it, then they cite some extreme case and act like a steel [component] would have made everything hunky dory.

Well, I don’t really know how light or stiff carbon cranks are, I just bet that they’re overkill for your purposes and that if you sold them and used the money for some other crank, you’d still be happy with your cranks and you’d have some cash in your pocket for some carbon spacers or something else fun, stupid and overpriced. Or, you know, pay rent. Or take your girlfriend out to a nice dinner. Or get some time with a nice hooker. As you can tell, I don’t know how much these cranks are worth, but I bet you could come out with some ca$hmoney in your pocket.

And NitroPye: I don’t think we’ve been convinced of that at all. Marketing departments tell us that, but the general attitudes towards carbon, here on this board, at least, seem to be mostly mistrustful. I’m not sure that that mistrust is terribly well placed. I do think that carbon cranks, spacers, brake levers, derailleurs, etc. are excessive and silly for any rider not in absolute peak physical condition who needs to shave 4 seconds off of a 5 hour climb. I don’t think they’re dangerous, just excessive.

[quote=“deadforkinglast”][quote=“bward1028”][quote=“deadforkinglast”]They’re fine, unless you want to do chainring grinds and sprocket stalls. Seriously, we’ve been convinced somehow that carbon anything will explode the moment you look at it wrong. Someone says it, then they cite some extreme case and act like a steel [component] would have made everything hunky dory.

Well, I don’t really know how light or stiff carbon cranks are, I just bet that they’re overkill for your purposes and that if you sold them and used the money for some other crank, you’d still be happy with your cranks and you’d have some cash in your pocket for some carbon spacers or something else fun, stupid and overpriced. Or, you know, pay rent. Or take your girlfriend out to a nice dinner. Or get some time with a nice hooker. As you can tell, I don’t know how much these cranks are worth, but I bet you could come out with some ca$hmoney in your pocket.

And NitroPye: I don’t think we’ve been convinced of that at all. Marketing departments tell us that, but the general attitudes towards carbon, here on this board, at least, seem to be mostly mistrustful. I’m not sure that that mistrust is terribly well placed. I do think that carbon cranks, spacers, brake levers, derailleurs, etc. are excessive and silly for any rider not in absolute peak physical condition who needs to shave 4 seconds off of a 5 hour climb. I don’t think they’re dangerous, just excessive.[/quote]

I’m not disagreeing with you about critical failure, I do think that the mistrust round these parts isn’t so much of a critical failure fear as it is a “no ones proved to me carbon is better / its just a marketing fad” kind of thing.

Pros use carbon cranks. They are stronger than us.

I am not a huge fan of carbon cranks, but I wouldn’t worry about them.

I honestly laugh at how people constantly perpetuate an idea that fixed gear cycling is somehow harder on components than road cycling. Where the hell does this come from?

street cred you.

[quote=“barba”]Pros use carbon cranks. They are stronger than us.

I am not a huge fan of carbon cranks, but I wouldn’t worry about them.[/quote]

Exactly the point I always make. If Boonen doesn’t shatter carbon cranks in a single pedal stoke, then you’re not going to either.

I raced on FSA carbon track cranks all last years, and they are stiff and reliable. I would have preferred outboard bearings, but otherwise, they’re pretty modern and will do exactly what you want with them. As long as you don’t have to shift, FSA stuff is fine.