Chinese Fixed Gears (article from Slate.com)

[quote=tzusing]No one needs to import “Fixed Gear Culture” to China. We have been fed western culture for long enough now. Why can’t we just have our own?
I tend to be grossed out by westerners that want to come here and teach Chinese people how to view the world.
We don’t need a monoculture world as that is the trend already.
I am all for people riding and loving bikes. But there is a big difference when money is pumped into marketing to sell kids the latest fixed gear craze. Organic growth is good, marketing hype and fashion trends obviously not.
Another side of me feels that Chinese people have been poor enough for so long. Let them enjoy the fruits of capitalism for once before you tell them they are wack for driving a car. This is something they looked forward to and worked so hard for. They can now drive to work in a rainy day in the comfort of a sedan. Save irony for those that have been spoiled by abundance and opulence.
I understand the beauty of commuting on a bicycle in all weather conditions, but how are you going to explain this to a guy that came up from poverty to enjoy a fucking car? You can’t and I don’t think you should and you damn well shouldn’t judge them for it.

There is a HUGE difference with selling people the idea that bicycles, tho utilitarian, can also be something you love and you take pride in. Versus ironic hipster culture bike.

I consider myself mostly Chinese. But people here on the Mainland don’t. Culturally speaking I am as much western as I am Chinese so I really can’t speak for “my peoples”.

I realize how hypocritical it is that I speak against fashion and marketing trends as I have obviously capitalized from it. Ah we can’t all be perfect.[/quote]

too much quote bro