classy toasty bike build thread

[quote=Toast]Yeah, I realized as I was in bed last night that TB-14s would be the obvious choice. High polish is a no-brainer, yeah (as opposed to hard ano)? I also pondered A-23s or the HED Belgium, but, as far as I can see in QBP, each of these are only available in black.

Hubs… generic Formula/IRO/whatever? Phils would be sweet, but definitely not worth the price increase.
[/quote]
get the tb-14s
and
pauls comp

There are a few of us.

Please use three cable clips along the top tube. the PO’s use of only two is really grating on me. I like all holes filled, so consider mounting one of those silver bullet rear blinkies to the dangler hanger.

I’m kinda surprised at the separate seatpost clamp, but I haven’t dealt with many 60’s era bikes. Is that stock, or was the original brazed-on clamp broken at some point?

I like those stronglight cranks, but I admit that I’ve always really wanted a set of 3-pin cranks for a SS build.

Are you considering a dyno hub front?

More information than I was expecting from clicking on this thread again.

i dont.

More information than I was expecting from clicking on this thread again.[/quote]
:bear:

These cranks are awesome but if you’re putting em on this sweet ass fixie bike and your power legs are anything like mine, you might end up with something along these lines:

That frame is sweet. Fukka centerpull and fukka non-aero. For wheels I’d do something like formulas/open pros.

In addition to the obscure BCD, these cranks have stupid 23mm crank puller threads, or at least mine did. Actually it might be something other than 23mm, but it was not standard. They are really cool looking though.

A sram torpedo hub might be a good idea if you wanna do fixed/free

They’re 23.15mm like all old Stronglight cranks. It was not just a standard, but the first standard — the TA 23mm and Campy 22mm threads came later, in that order. The larger sizes had a purpose, you could use 15mm bolts in them and still fit a normal socket.

ok mr smartypants.

toast bikes are best bikes

kopped.

things i already have:
-sealed italian bb which may or may not give a decent chainline
-headset
-26.4 seatpost
-team pro saddle
-tt brake cable clamp guides
-brake levers – either 105 aero levers, or mafacs which i got with the frame

things i need:
-formula (or iro, or something identical) to tb-14 wheelset
-bar-stem combo (already have some cinelli combo with approx right stem length, but not sure if i like the bars… otherwise, can do a noodle bar with 26.0 stem, or something 25.4 with a nice flared set of rando bars)
-brakeset (need to measure reach… but prolly going to do the centerpull dealio)
-nice 28-32ish mm tires. or maybe bigger?
-vo fenders
-crankset (still not sure which direction i wanna go, but probably something from one of the shops that sells used stuff around here)

There are a few of us.[/quote]

have i met you?

Don’t think so. I haven’t really met any of the Portland tarckers, except for Doug very briefly at De Ronde. I’ll get around to it one of these days.

I think I tried to sell you a 26" wheel one time though.

f this

Retro style should never interfere with safety. Silver Tektro dual pivots are classy and perform well. Choosing inferior parts for style is as dumb as riding brakeless.

Blicks we seen your bikes. U need to stand back behind the line with me and watch the magic happen.

f this

Retro style should never interfere with safety. Silver Tektro dual pivots are classy and perform well. Choosing inferior parts for style is as dumb as riding brakeless.[/quote]
How many millions of dead people are we talking about from riding Campagnolo or Modolo single pivots?

the confidence in your brakes is crucial to the entire experience

i don’t mind single pivots in the back, but dual pivot in the front is a necessity to me

f this

Retro style should never interfere with safety. Silver Tektro dual pivots are classy and perform well. Choosing inferior parts for style is as dumb as riding brakeless.[/quote]

lulz

if that’s the case, doug can u braze on some disc tabs?

also wtb: hydraulic brake set

for safety