Columbus SL tubing

Just wondering if anyone has solid knowledge of this tubing. I am a heavier guy and I just saw a pretty nice deal on the bay so curious.

Is the sex. Depending on the builder it’s smooth stuff.

PM crushkilldestroy he knows everything about tubing :bear:

or look here

http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/columb ... schart.htm

i (admittedly) got pwnt last time i talked about tubing – so i could be wrong, but i would assume anything that a builder used SL on is most likely a worthwhile frame.

[quote=“dooktruck”]PM crushkilldestroy he knows everything about tubing :bear:

or look here

http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/columb ... schart.htm[/quote]

Someone’s still grumpy.

SL’s good stuff. But I already told you that in the PM. The chart that dook just sent you shows a few tubesets that didn’t exist in the timeframe you’re looking at. But otherwise it’s good information for what you’re looking at.

Does Columbus still make this stuff? I didn’t think so. My girlfriend’s Marinoni is built with it. It’s nice.

SL is an old tubing. common opinion is that SLX was better because it had some helical reinforcements in some of the tubes. so it’s supposed to be stiffer and maybe lighter. you could look at that chart that dooktruck posted and see what the weights are.

really it’s gonna depend on the builder. they determine how stiff the frame is and how it rides with tube selection and what parts of the tubes they don’t use or where they decide to place the butted parts of the tubes…
basically two framesets by different or even the same builder could ride/feel totally different even with the same tubesets.

id’ say anything reynolds 531 or better is ok.
columbes SL or SLX is the better end of tubing too.
look at something like columbus Aelle, it’s very heavy and the tubes don’t seem to be butted. columbus gaspipe?

[quote="(|)"]SL is an old tubing. common opinion is that SLX was better because it had some helical reinforcements in some of the tubes. so it’s supposed to be stiffer and maybe lighter. you could look at that chart that dooktruck posted and see what the weights are.

really it’s gonna depend on the builder. they determine how stiff the frame is and how it rides with tube selection and what parts of the tubes they don’t use or where they decide to place the butted parts of the tubes…
basically two framesets by different or even the same builder could ride/feel totally different even with the same tubesets.

id’ say anything reynolds 531 or better is ok.
columbes SL or SLX is the better end of tubing too.
look at something like columbus Aelle, it’s very heavy and the tubes don’t seem to be butted. columbus gaspipe?[/quote]

I totally agree with this statement. Basically if the tubing is better than 531, it should be ok. SL is a overall good tubing, SLX may be better but if you aren’t racing, it really shouldn’t make a difference.

I personally own bikes made of 531 and EL oversized. The EL oversized is amazing to me, its alittle more beefy than SL or SLX (its some tough stuff), but still as light. So if you are a big guy, I would atleast think about the EL oversized…to bad it alittle hard to find.

you shut your mouth you turd

If you are racing you probably aren’t on steel anyway.

If you are racing you probably aren’t on steel anyway.[/quote]

True. Steel basically isn’t used for much of anything besides casual riders now. I really don’t know about MTB’s though, but for road… steel is basically dead.

except for sachs and his cross frames and team

There’s really no shortage of steel being raced at your average Cat 3-5 criterium, cyclocross race or track event. Just because the pros aren’t on it, doesn’t mean it’s not out there.

^^^exactly

Cross is pretty different. I don’t know much about cross, but I think steel may be heavier but its still the better decision because of the abuse steel can take. I may be wrong, but that is my educated guess for the day.

I was speaking about the professional level really. But still from what I have seen at my local bike shops aluminum seems to be the most common material sold.

I fucking hate aluminum.

you shut your mouth you turd[/quote]

haha.
wait is the torpado aelle or tretubi?

aelle

oh sorry didn’t mean to gaspipe your bike.
you can have hug if you want.