Comparing this U-lock to that U-Lock

[quote=“Rusty Piton”]Against an angle grinder any lock is prety much done for.
A lock is just a deterent.[/quote]

mhmm. for most areas i’m inclined to think that as long as you’re getting something of decent quality (which the bulldog is) locking strategy is going to be way more important than the type of lock you use.

Bulldog mini. It was the easiest one to down-the-pants-discount at the local chain sporting goods store, but I love it. Keeps my shit secure. I cut the rubber bit off the U so its a little bigger and wrapped that with a layer or 2 of electrical tape.

Thanks all. Going to order the OnGuard tomorrow to save some money over the krypto. Don’t see overwhelming evidence in the krypto’s favor.

Ive owned both and the Evo is smaller and lighter. Which is nice if the over all security of the two is so similar.

just bought the bulldog based on this thread. it coming with a cable was the selling point for me.

I have a one of the bigger Bulldogs and I’m thinking I want to pick up a Bulldog Mini.

The evo is a little more compact. The crossbar is a little smaller in diameter as well.
It may be lighter, I can’t really remember.

I doubt that there is any appreciable difference in theft resistance. If someone wants to cut through a non-walmart u-lock, they’re going to get through it. There may be one difference though. The evo only locks on one side. The other side is a j-bend so if it is cut in one place, part of the shackle could be removed. The onguard locks on both ends. If one cut was made, the two halves to the shackle could be rotated slightly, but neither would come off. If the post and frame filled up most of the area inside the shackle, it could be very difficult to remove the lock, unless it was pried open, without making another cut.

Having had both, I liked my evo a little better. Just not $30 better when it came time for a new one. The evo price is complete bullshit. The exact same lock was $40 three years ago. I got my last one plus a NYC chain for $100 shipped on ebay.

get a bulldog mini then with that extra money you saved buy a cable or something

fuck iunno

I don’t know who’s paying $60 for Evos. They are on CL here literally every day for $30.

i bought the bulldog mini a couple months ago. like everyone else, i really like it. never really use the cable though, probably should. definitely a great lock for 30 bucks.

okay does everyone’s bulldog mini still have the yellow bumpers on them? mine ripped off while taking it out of my bag, and the black rubberized shit flakes off everytime i touch it.

still a good lock, key still turns smoothly

[quote=“tx_what_it_do”]okay does everyone’s bulldog mini still have the yellow bumpers on them? mine ripped off while taking it out of my bag, and the black rubberized shit flakes off everytime i touch it.

still a good lock, key still turns smoothly[/quote]
We’ll find out soon. I just ordered one.

they sell them at REI…

O the irony. :bear:

Was it $25?

I ordered the Bulldog locally - it was out of stock everywhere online so I decided to give my lbs some love.

Well, they couldn’t get it either, so they upgraded me to the Pitbull for the same price.

Nice deal, good lock, though it is heavier and bulkier than the Bulldog.

It does fit in my back pocket.

This was back around February or so, I believe they are in stock again now.

I wrapped some bar tape around the crossbar where the paint is flaking off on my onguard. It doesn’t look too bad, but I need to make the ends line up and look all neat and shit.

I suggest squirting some Tri-Flow or maybe a Teflon lubricant into the keyhole ever couple of months. I’ve done this and had no problems with my OnGuard for the past two or so years of near-daily use.

yep. every time my lock starts wanting to catch or feel like it’s not smooth i do this and it does the trick. should almost certainly improve the lifespan and prevent an all-out seize up. especially a good idea if you lock outside a lot during the cold winter months.

Great info! I plan on doing that when i get mine in, or actually when i feel the lock acting not so smooth… Just ordered today from the website listed in the OP.