Compendium of Internet Fit Advice

[quote=JUGE FREDD]That’s really where the levers belong on those bars, the hoods are supposed to be a lower separate position from the tops. You’ll never get a flat ramp and you’ll fuck up everything good about them trying to get there.

but the advice to try modern bend bars is A++[/quote]
This. But for the mean time try to rotate your bars up a wee bit, as previously suggested. It’ll help both your hood and drop positions as far as the heel is concerned.

Rode to Chattanooga this weekend (160-ish miles each way)

On new bars to compensate for new hoods (6800 from 7700)

Got the same numbness Squirrel mentions, as well as in my peen, when riding on the hoods. Better from the drops. None on the ride home, so maybe I’m getting used to them, but I am thus far NOT a fan of short and shallows.

FWIW, the last thirty miles or so I was dunzo, and was out of the saddle most of the time to deal with the suffering.

I have had hand numbness issues. I found a hood shape/bar position that allows me to be totally on the hoods instead of on the ramps and that has pretty much solved it. Also thin tape and no gloves with padding. Goes against conventional wisdom but it works for me.

I switched to a cut-out saddle on all my bikes and haven’t had sleepy peepee even once since. Even the most agreeable saddles I tried in the past would occasionally give me problems.

Yeah dude fizik versus

longer stem is better than more reach

even in the braceline t-rex land you wallow in

How much bar drop do you run on that bike? Of all the myriad saddles I have used, I found the versus saddles to be pretty dang uncomfortable and significantly worse than the standard, non-cutout versions. It felt to me as if they designed it so that 100% of my body weight was being supported by my taint. At the shop I never once got a customer on one who enjoyed it. I run a lot of drop and really rotate my pelvis so maybe they work for little/no drop and less anterior pelvic tilt?

Ask Eric. Probably like 8cm? I could measure tomorrow
But I will say I like the “vs” better (so far) than the “vsx” that I got from lucasz

After years of searching I’ve settled on the aliante vs as my saddle of choice.

Giving advice on saddle selection always strikes me as pointless though. Everyone has different preferences for how they like their taints touched.

It’s absurd to me that saddles are ~$100+. It’s plastic and foam, get fucked.

Makes trying different stuff quite prohibitive.

^ agreed.

thank goodness my butt agrees with charge spoons

[quote=hiljentaa]It’s absurd to me that saddles are ~$100+. It’s plastic and foam, get fucked.

Makes trying different stuff quite prohibitive.[/quote]
buy them all from performance online, try them all, and return them in store.
we were actually told to tell people to do this.

spesh makes great cutout saddles, imo. romin evo expert from a couple years ago & selle smp dynamic are my two go-to saddles. they’re both, to varying degrees, shaped like an actual pelvis (i.e. concave profile) and put your weight on the pelvic bones not your junk. with the cutout i haven’t felt pressure let alone numbness on the soft tissue for years. smp looks stupid as hell, but idgaf.

[quote=hiljentaa]It’s absurd to me that saddles are ~$100+. It’s plastic and foam, get fucked.

you know most bike shops have demo saddles, right?

[quote=bobbythehawk][quote=hiljentaa]It’s absurd to me that saddles are ~$100+. It’s plastic and foam, get fucked.

you know most some bike shops have demo saddles, right?[/quote]

ftfy

[quote=aerobear][quote=bobbythehawk][quote=hiljentaa]It’s absurd to me that saddles are ~$100+. It’s plastic and foam, get fucked.

you know most some almost no bike shops have demo saddles, right?[/quote]

ftfy[/quote]
ftf ohio

anyone other than tamaso ride an SMP? I want one really bad but they’re kind of expensive as fuck, I’ve heard a lot of good about them tho and the idea of pelvic vs “sit bone” support seems freakin genius

I rode the evolution for about a year and then put another year or two on a forma. I really like them fit-wise, but have moved on after I bent the shell on a forma under normal use, causing it to grow lopsided which led to a bunch of fit issues/tendonitis. Tried to warranty it and that was a complete joke so I’ve changed saddle allegiances.

Can you shift fore/aft on the SMP? I usually prefer a saddle that’s flat front to back so I can shift a few cm forward at times. I use Antares VS.

Romin has a bit of space for movement but the nose is really wide (better on the evo, but still wide for narrow-waisted peeps), SMP are definitely more one position saddles. Once you get it dialed in it works great, but if you like to move around for biomechanical rather than pressure reasons it might be a frustration.

I’m finding that a Fizik Volta allows for better weight distribution than any other saddle I’ve used in recent years (Arione, Aliante, Flite). It feels as if there’s just a lot of surface area taking up weight. The shape is very simple, which allows for many workable fore-aft positions. I definitely roll my hips a lot and have my saddle set pretty far back though, so it might not work for a closer and higher position. The only real drawback is that the nose is terrifyingly sharp, I sundered a chamois on it a few months ago.