Compendium of Internet Fit Advice

Weight and overall fitness

Don’t see that.

this is much more interesting atmo, from the no-crabon weight weenie guy: http://stemcalc.1apps.com/stemcalc.html

compare two frames and compute the spacers/stem necessary to put the bars in the same place

since the frame’s stack and reach numbers are kinda useless if you’re using a rustystack

question
i’ve been riding and stretching more this summer than i ever have. in the last few weeks i find myself gripping the top of the hoods more, especially when i’m in the middle of an interval or going into a headwind. i feel like i get more length this way. i’m comfortable on the bike (54cm endpoint, 12cm -17 stem, no spacers, some specialized shallow bars of unknown origin) in every other way all the time, so i’m not totally sure i want to change stem length. anyone have any advice?

try a 110
why not

shorter is the wrong direction michael

he’s got excess fitness not fuckin serotta problems

maybe i should have written
“so you can ride in the drops more”
but seriously wtf do i know, i havent gone on a ride longer than 100k in a month

i mean, if it feels good why change?

but its not like it would hurt to try a 130. plus you get coolguy points for dat long dong and low position.

or maybe some different bars if you’re not super attached to whats there now? could keep ur current stem (and reach to the bar tops), but get more reach to the hoods and drop to the drops if you used a classic/round shape bar

Maybe longer reach bars.

[quote=dorth]i mean, if it feels good why change?
[/quote]
Depends on which parts of you are stronger and more flexible, and how long your arms are relative to your torso. If you have short-ish arms but a now more flexible core, then you might really feel a positive difference with more space out front to stretch your whole upper body into, be it from a longer stem, deeper/ reachier bars, or some other change. If you’re all arm, then something like a 1cm change in stem length might mostly produce a slightly different bend in your elbow.
Or just get clipon aero bars and blast around your local multiuse paths.

[quote=fix]question
i’ve been riding and stretching more this summer than i ever have. in the last few weeks i find myself gripping the top of the hoods more, especially when i’m in the middle of an interval or going into a headwind. i feel like i get more length this way. i’m comfortable on the bike (54cm endpoint, 12cm -17 stem, no spacers, some specialized shallow bars of unknown origin) in every other way all the time, so i’m not totally sure i want to change stem length. anyone have any advice?[/quote]
It does sound like your spine wants longer reach. You could do a longer stem, or more traditional bar with >80mm reach.

different bars might be a good option, thanks guys. i feel like the tops are in exactly the right spot, it’s just that the hoods are too close. sweet.

God Damnit. No matter what we do we can’t get ladybiek’s Soma to fit right. It’s all about the handlebar reach.

We’ve tried 4 different stems and she’s got a complaint about all of them. Now we have a 90mm boner stem on there and she still wants it to be longer. I think it’s got more to do with the upside down north roads that she just haaaaaas to have. No amount of convincing will get her off the idea of those bars.

So, back to the shop it is.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

DQ: have you messed with saddle setback also?

so you tried stems shorter than that?
im sorry, i would have quit after #3.

[quote=kmcdon]God Damnit. No matter what we do we can’t get ladybiek’s Soma to fit right. It’s all about the handlebar reach.

We’ve tried 4 different stems and she’s got a complaint about all of them. Now we have a 90mm boner stem on there and she still wants it to be longer. I think it’s got more to do with the upside down north roads that she just haaaaaas to have. No amount of convincing will get her off the idea of those bars.

So, back to the shop it is.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA[/quote]

You can borrow my Salsa Fitfinder stem if you come up here or cover shipping.

I imagine North Road bars want you to be upright, but she wants to stretch out and be more sporty? If I were you, I’d bow out of this one. My wife is happiest when the only thing I do is tune her bike up and fix flats.

Yeah dude. I let her make all her own mistakes and just do the wrenching when asked.

90mm stem seems short for bars with that much sweep and no real forward reach. I wouldn’t hesitate to go 120+, especially if she feels cramped in the cockpit. upright road bike conversions generally need ridiculously long stems ime

We’re taking it up to the shop today. She feels cramped in the cockpit- that’s exactly the problem. I’ll take the 120+ into consideration. Problem is that the PO of this frame cut the steerer tube shorter than I’d like so it’s boner stem city.

The frame measurements are almost exactly the same as her drop bar bike, save for a few MM here and there, and that bike fits her perfectly.

Shopbro said as long as we don’t scratch / fuckup the stem we could swap it out if/when she hates it.