Compendium of Internet Fit Advice

I’m thinking about carpal tunnel surgery as it’s a year and a half since the Tour Aotearoa and I still get right hand numbness. Have a session with the physio next week to see Wtf is causing left side sciatica as well. I’m kind of hoping it’s connected.

I think I need a longer stem. But I do need to reconsider my saddle choice.

i get that in my left foot when i am riding ever since i broke a toe (fractured the end of the metatarsal where it joins the phalanges) a few years back. been wondering if that’ll ever go away, but thus far the answer seems to be no.

I think I need a longer stem. But I do need to reconsider my saddle choice.[/quote]

a guy came into the shop i used to work at once and told me that half of his penis was going numb. before asking which half, i referred him to the male fitter, who ended up dropping his saddle a smidge and dropping to nose like a mm or two. apparently it worked, as he never returned with any more uncomfortable details about penile numbness.

what do you do when the q. factor on your FS MTB is like, way too wide, and you fuck up your knees b/c they are collapsing inside when climbing? We have a lot of hard, 1+hr climbs here and I fucked either my lateral meniscus or lateral collateral ligament.

2 weeks off the bike and i’m riding again fine, but i am not gonna MTB again until that shit is sorted

cranks are as narrow as possible on the frame, cleats in as much as possible, etc.

my knees adjusted after mtbing more. likely built up slightly better knee stability after riding my mtb more than my road bike for the last 6 mos.

have you tried anything like varus wedges under your insoles to angle your foot? usually helps prevent your knees from turning in as much.

Or go to a podiatrist and get your feet stabilized

i get that in my left foot when i am riding ever since i broke a toe (fractured the end of the metatarsal where it joins the phalanges) a few years back. been wondering if that’ll ever go away, but thus far the answer seems to be no.[/quote]

It’s never going away. There are bone fragments all over my hand, you can see visible bumps in my skin. A surgeon at Cedar Sinai told me we can either fuse the joint giving me a permanently half-formed claw hand or we can leave it and I’ll have arthritis for the rest of my life. At the age of 25 I didn’t want a claw hand. So now my hand just hurts all the time and goes numb when I ride. I don’t tend to notice it unless other parts of me start following suit and then I get worried. It could be worse, I could have a claw hand.

EDIT: I say this but I also lost all feeling in a finger for 3 years only to have it come back slowly. Nerve repair is a weird slow process.

[quote=bobbythehawk]what do you do when the q. factor on your FS MTB is like, way too wide, and you fuck up your knees b/c they are collapsing inside when climbing? We have a lot of hard, 1+hr climbs here and I fucked either my lateral meniscus or lateral collateral ligament.

2 weeks off the bike and i’m riding again fine, but i am not gonna MTB again until that shit is sorted

cranks are as narrow as possible on the frame, cleats in as much as possible, etc.[/quote]

Yo get some nice insoles for ur shoes. I have very pronounced arches and when I ski or ride my feet tend to kind of flatten out and I go a bit knock-kneed. Having an insole with extra sch support helps a lot. Makes a huge difference for me on skis, less so on teh bike but it def helps.

Teh super feet jawns seem alright but if you can get custom ones I would consider that

amy, haven’t tried wedges on the MTB. I’m sure you’re right about the adjustment- I used to MTB much more than road, but this year I decided to have a crack at racing and have been riding 10+ hrs per week on the road, and maybe 2 on the MTB if I have the energy. Had a proper fit on the road and it’s been awesome, but it’s not really translating.

i have access to currex, they have a bunch of different types, and custom if needed.

I’ll go get measured and order up some up. I’ve been meaning to get some for my day-to-day shoes. I’m on my feet all day, on concrete, and get plantar fasciitis. Which sucks.

Haven’t put in a great amount of miles yet but so far the increased reach feels better, especially on longer rides. The only thing I still find disconcerting is my neck position. In younger times I had probably even more reach than I do now and I don’t recall it ever being an issue. I guess it’s just another thing I’ll adapt to.

After moving 2 weeks ago, my weekly miles have increased a ton, and for the first time, the front of my knees hurt on my bike. I’m not clipped in. Ideas?

Slide your feet forward a little? Take a few days off and heal, then try again. You’re mileage has gone way up and it’s going to take a little while to adjust.

saddle up a teeny bit, saddle back a teeny bit, feet a bit further forward on the pedals. shoes with thinner soles, when possible, unless this is the summer of fun platform espadrilles.

Sometimes, but only with dresses. Most of the time it’s converse or chacos. I’m too practical.

Good choices, I wear 50% of those shoes! I was mostly just goofing, but if you are on platform pedals, sometimes changes in shoe sole thickness can lead to complications. Real talk: front-knee pain usually means that you don’t have enough extension from hip to midfoot. Also worth considering - do your knees track straight through your pedal stroke, or do they move laterally a bit?

I seem to remember someone on here saying that they had a fitting stem that they would be willing to let me borrow? We’re having an ass of a time getting ladybiek’s stem right, and we can’t keep buying them to try. Is that offer still on the table?

I’ve got the Salsa fit stem up here if you’re in the area. Otherwise I don’t think it would cost you much to ship it.

Cool, I’ll let you know. She thinks our friend has one, but I suspect it’s just an adjustable junk hybrid stem, so we’ll see what the deal is there.

I’ve been thinking that I might like a bar with slightly flared drops, but also a lot of drop, not some ridiculous Cowchipper type thing. I am spending more time in the drops these days, and it’s hard to find a good hand postion at the base of the hooks with a simple curve.

Is there a clearly better option than the Compass Maes? I’d have to use a much shorter stem if I switched to it from a Zipp SL88, but I like that it brings the bar tops in very close while keeping the hoods roughly where they would be on another bar.