Compendium of Internet Fit Advice

Because they’re the wrong bibs. Find ones that don’t do this.

[quote=littletinyfish]That was gonna be my next question. The slower you go, the more upright your position will be, right? This means a bike set up for my CX pace will not be appropriately set up for a long slow ride at my wife’s pace. I don’t think this difference mattered much to me before, but now I’m getting old.

At any rate, I got into the habit of tilting my saddle up, but according to the skeletons, that inadvertently tipped my hips back. So I flattened my saddle again, dropped my seat height about half an inch, raised my bars about half an inch.

I went for a good hard ride and it felt a lot better. I definitely felt the pull against the bars, rather than supporting my weight on them.

Now that everything is shuffled around again, I’ll do your graded Zone 3 ride and see if I can’t fine tune it a bit more.[/quote]

not sure if this is what you mean, but the slower you go, the further back you’ll want your weight to be. consider your three contact points: the bb ain’t moving, so for a given saddle height and reach, you want to imagine rotating the rider around the bb shell. move the rider towards the back and you relieve weight off the hands, rider forward and you put more weight over the front of the bike. this is why you see riders reflexively slide forward when they’re really pushing a big gear.

*note: had the same convo with a nurse at the hospital this afternoon who started talking to me about his (unsatisfactory) bike fit after he learned how i broke my shoulder blade.

One Weird trick for keeping weight off your arms when riding a fast bike slow is to push a higher gear – so you are putting out the normal torque just at fewer rpms.

this all helps thanks

my ibex bibs hurt my junk but they fit comfy and my la passione feel too tight on me

so fuck my life

stop wearing bibs and get a brooks smiling_grant.jpg

flexibility is a factor, too. Since you want to rotate your hips forward, your hammies need to be able to take that stretch. As your riding try and think about your back and hip position. I like to curl and arch my back (like cat and cow in yoga) to find a good neutral position – hips rotated forward, back long + flat (engaging your core + lower back), head up, arms bent + relaxed.

is this answering my bibs question?

i know that bibs arent supposed to be too big or too small, just like that shoe that if it dont fit you must aquit

[quote=y]not sure if this is what you mean, but the slower you go, the further back you’ll want your weight to be. consider your three contact points: the bb ain’t moving, so for a given saddle height and reach, you want to imagine rotating the rider around the bb shell. move the rider towards the back and you relieve weight off the hands, rider forward and you put more weight over the front of the bike. this is why you see riders reflexively slide forward when they’re really pushing a big gear.

*note: had the same convo with a nurse at the hospital this afternoon who started talking to me about his (unsatisfactory) bike fit after he learned how i broke my shoulder blade.[/quote]

That is not what I meant, so thank you for clarifying. It seems a bit backwards, but “rotating around the bottom bracket” makes a lot more sense in the context of drop the saddle and move it backwards. And I definitely notice that I’m sitting on the nose of my saddle when I’m really cranking.

I’m going to think on it for a little bit before I ask more questions, but in good news land, I raced/rode about 80 miles this weekend and everything felt great! No numbness anywhere, so my initial adjustments are holding up so far.

Interesting idea. Part of my problem is riding with my wife, who is REALLY slow. So I try to match her pace with a lower gear and faster cadence by shifting into a bigger cog. Perhaps ultra slow and low is the best way to go. I’ll experiment on our next ride together (or ruminate on getting a tandem).

Focusing on my back and hip positions has helped, too. I’ll have to be more thoughtful about getting all bits into a neutral position.