Computers and bikes.

I’m getting a shiny fancy new macbook right away, and i’m a little bit worried about the commute to and from school with a computer in the near future. Not that i fall all the time- but i’m due, right?

So: is anyone else paranoid about falling and breaking their computer? What have you done to remedy this situation?

oh hay, stop being a bitch for one.

I try not to carry a computer often, 'cause it’s heavy. Your macbook’s probably significantly lighter than the Dell Behemothon 1600 I’ve got for work, but it’s still more weight. I never really thought about falling, I guess, ‘cause thinkin’ too much about those types a things will make a man feel ill at ease.

In what sort of bag/vessel will you be carrying said macbook?

EDIT:

Good one. Seems like a legitimate concern to me.

drive a car

Oh my word. It’s been awhile since i’ve been to tarckbike. I forgot that it was like this.
-And probably just in a messenger bag. Unless i get a hardcase for it, and put it in that then into a messenger bag.

sound advice.

I’ve been carrying my macbook in my backpack for the past year. I just put it in a plastic carry bag (to protect against back sweat), and put that in my backpack, up against my back. My commute is almost 25 miles round trip, 5 days a week. No problems so far, but it’s probably not ideal.

insure it, seal it against the elements, back up your data.

and if you do crash, you’re more than likely to go face first than backwards, so your body should cushion your laptop nicely

Buy an eee for your travels

don’t fall. It works for me

[quote=stever]insure it, seal it against the elements, back up your data.

and if you do crash, you’re more than likely to go face first than backwards, so your body should cushion your laptop nicely[/quote]

I’ve carried an iBook/MacBook around with me nearly every day since high school. What are you afraid of? Seriously if something shitty happens you can’t stop that. I need my computer every day and I want to ride my bike every day so I do both.

I carry my computer in my bag all the time. I just keep it in a padded laptop bag. I’m not sure if I’ve ever fallen with it or not… I don’t think so.

Just a decent padded sleeve is all you need, Macbooks are pretty tough. The aluminum ones are even tougher now that they’re made from one piece.

Seriously, you’ll be fine.

My computer is my life blood. I don’t have one I don’t work. So if it got thrashed I’d have to purchase one that same very day or I would start losing money. That being said, I invested in a Drobo, back up all my data multiple times, and make everything setup so that in the unlikely case I destroy this thing I will lose no more then 1 full day of work.

I also keep my machine in a chrome rolltop in the laptop compartment inside another sleeve. Its a MacBook Pro the newer unibody one.

I’m also looking into a second Drobo and keeping them both in sync but this one off site (outside of my house)

What is Drobo?

http://www.drobo.com/ A harddisk enclosure that does all the nonsense of RAID for you.

I got sick of my backup disks going. Whats the point of a backup when the disk for it dies. The drobo (one could argue you could use a normal RAID but they are a pain to setup) takes multiple drives. So if I put 2 1terrabyte drives in the drobo I have 1 terrabyte of space and the data is duplicated so if one disk completely fails its not gone. You can stick up to 4 drives in the thing and it will do the data redundancy automatically for you.

solid state drive!

[quote=kmcdon3960]Just a decent padded sleeve is all you need, Macbooks are pretty tough. The aluminum ones are even tougher now that they’re made from one piece.

Seriously, you’ll be fine.[/quote]
this. i ride to school a good amount and i havent had any problems so far.
also maybe consider apple care insurance or something like that.

I skated to my office from my car this morning (saves around 5 minutes or so) and slammed manualing this little brick crosswalk thing. My bag flew off, computer inside, and tumbled for a ways.

It sucked eating shit in front of my office

edit: computer is ok