Cycling computer

can anyone recommend a good cycling computer thats cheap?
im looking for something basic.
total distance, speed (avg/current), stop watch?

cateye somethin. i like my oooold vectra cc-7000

i like the strada wireless.
can be had at your lbs for $55 or so.
cadence isn’t a big issue for me…although a strada cadence is less than $40.

cateye strada.
looks good to me.
thanks sol and robot

anyone not like those?

you can get a wireless mavic wintech for ~$50

with that you can add cadence later on w/o getting a whole new computer, just an add on

how important is it to monitor cadence?

i could see it being a major thing with track/fixed gear stuff, since its directly correlated to your speed.
is it a big deal with road biking?

i have a mavic wintech es with the skewer sensor. its nice but nothing amazing. i got mine for like 40, but i dont think its worth 100 or whatever it retails for. might pick up the cadence sensor sometime, its like 25.

for road biking and cadence, i just try to keep pedaling quick. i guess if i did track racing i’d definately do a cadence computer.

I have expressed this opinion before, but they are all disposable plastic crap as far as I’m concerned. They are definitely useful for certain things, but it’s stupid to spend much money on one.

i got my wireless niterider rebel 3.0 for free.

its ok.

does current, average and max speed, has 2 odometers, time, current, max and min temperature, and you can add on cadence. its backlit too. nice sized display.

but a lot of times it will get stuck somewhere between “sleep” mode and operating mode and will do nothing, then it’ll randomly kick on.

guess i wouldnt really recommend it. kinda bulky looking too if you care about that.

i like my strada wireless. only gripe is that it’s about $25 to hook up an additional bike.
cadence is pretty important in road cycling. there is a reason why they’ve gone from 6 to 7 to 11 speed.

i don’t really understand this logic. with a freewheel, cadence is a variable unto itself. with a fixed dt, either a small application of maths or a post-it note on your bars will let you know what your cadence is when you know your speed.

i have an older cateye astrale? it has cadence, speed, timer, distance, max speed, average. works good but its wired which is irritating and tacky.

i lik ehaving the cadence fuction, but i dont see myself caring much about it on a geared bike. …

i want to get a wireless one to throw on the road bike… no way im gonna tape a buncha wires to my road bike.

i don’t really understand this logic. with a freewheel, cadence is a variable unto itself. with a fixed dt, either a small application of maths or a post-it note on your bars will let you know what your cadence is when you know your speed.[/quote]

Totally agree with this. Not that I really care enough about performance to actually monitor my cadence.

I’ve been thinking about getting a computer just for the sake of knowing my mileage. Wife always asks me how many miles I think we rode and I always just pull a number out of my ass.

i’ve never actually undergone any real training, but from my understanding it plays a major part in different training programs.
i don’t understand the logic that you would want it for a track bike and not a road bike.

I use cadence for intervals… Id do the same thing on my road bike if i had a computer on it and could put it on a trainer… (someone lost the ends with the slot for QR … ). i feel like on the road bike when i hit a certain cadence, i change gears. its sort of a natural reaction and knowing the number rpms i hit wouldnt be that important.

I used to have cadence on my old computer (some cateye) until I smashed that one. Now I’m using some cheap wireless without cadence and I don’t miss the cadence feature at all. It is kinda interesting at first but you can judge your cadence just fine without one.

kind of talking out of my ass here, so someone with more knowledge should chime in. but different cadences are going to build your body up if different ways, higher cadences will do more to build your aerobic system and lower cadences strength. these can be varied significantly when you have 20 gears to choose from.

i think im just going to ride my bike, and not worry about the computer stuff until i take training more seriously