Cycling Shoe Cleat Placement Tips

Yeah, makes sense for sure. I guess an old school method of getting SPD-SL/Look style cleats dialed into the right angle is to pedal around on a trainer with the cleats barely finger tight so that the pedals can rotate under your feet, find what’s comfortable and then have a friend come and tighten the screws done for you.

Way to bring up an old topic, I know I know. Earlier today, I moved both cleats farther forward. Not much. A few millimeters or so. Climbing felt much more balanced and sprinting, especially the jump took or felt less difficult on my part.

Just something to consider. My £2!

Yeah. I have my cleats positioned so that the ball of my foot is in front of the cleat and it just isn’t as nice on the sprints, though long climbs feel great. I think, weighing the pros and cons of all cleat placement options, having it directly over the ball of the foot still makes the most sense for all-around road riding/racing, but for TT/Tri’s, having the cleat closer to the arch makes more sense.

I was getting pain/numbness on my right foot (similar to what Heath was experiencing) and I moved my cleats as far back as they would go. Alleviated the pain quite a bit, now it’s just a very minor annoyance that I’m pretty sure will go away once the shoes break in a bit more. More toe overlap, but I’ve been used to it since before clipless.

I have mine slammed as far forward as they can go, and angled so my feet point in a bit. Obviously there are more variables involved but I am quite proficient at sprinting and I guess this helps. I rode bmx/MTB for many years and I guess its where I like my feet. I also have dreadful overlap on every bike due to riding 52cm frames, so I guess it’s also out of necessity.
(enjoyable and useful thread).