Cyclocross Frames?

So I think this winter in an attempt to make my stable a bit more practical, I’m going to try and cut my number of bikes up at school down to 2 (from 4).
My plan is to move the ultegra 9 speed off my trek onto a cyclocross frame with some updates (front derailluer and a new crankset) and buy another set of wheels, so I have a set of knobbies for CX/all weather type shit, and then a set of road wheels.
Any suggestions for frames? I’d like to keep it light-ish, as I will probably be cycling for the univ. team on this bike, and have geometry at least as aggressive as my trek 1000 frame does, preferably a little more so.
I’m not worried about the cost TOO much, but I’d like to keep it reasonable, full carbon certainly isnt necessary. plus points if it has bosses/mounts for fenders and/or racks.
wheel suggestions are welcome too.
if this seems like a horrible idea, please tell me, but justify it. My idea here is, I’d like to have an all weather type CX bike, I’d like to look into some CX events, cut down the number of bikes kept in my room, and I cant see any MAJOR setbacks to just having a CX frame which I would swap wheelsets on for different things.

I know a few collegiate riders using cross frames to race on but true race oriented cross frames usually don’t have fender mounts. Otherwise, yeah totally doable.

yeah, fenders and rack mounts is asking quite a bit, I figure race blades or something should be good (we dont get lots of rain, just snow)

there are a couple of guys here that run fuji team cross bikes all year round, swapping out tires.

How many collegiate cross races are there?
How many times a year would you want a rack and fenders?
How important is weight compared to practicality?

[quote=“dutret”]How many collegiate cross races are there?
How many times a year would you want a rack and fenders?
How important is weight compared to practicality?[/quote]

wouldnt be racing cross collegiately, but would like to check out the scene, and really a cross frame just seems the most practical to fill as many shoes as possible.
Not a whole lot, as I dont live in a place where it rains much and I can USUALLY get by with a bag for capacity getting groceries, though being able to mount a rack would be nice
Being that it would be the bike I raced road as well as cross with, weight is a bit of an issue over practicality, though if there was an option available that could fulfill the geometry and practicality requirements, I would probably pick it over something lighter.

Might be able to get by with a shitty seat post rack if you want a race frame.

The Salsa CX framesets touch my tra la la. I saw some kids riding those setup with road wheels at a crit recently.

if you’re okay with the name, the scattante xrl seems to be well liked and is definitely at a great price:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=25729&subcategory_ID=3020

maybe a little more budget-minded than what you’re looking for but i dig it.

My two cents are - If you can only have two bikes and ride in all weather one should be the fast/fun/racing/nice day bike, and the other should be decked out with full coverage fenders, rack, lights, etc…

A tarck bike, being neither especially fast, nor particularly practical would not make the cut for me if I had to get it down to two bikes.

[quote=“NitroPye”]Might be able to get by with a shitty seat post rack if you want a race frame.

The Salsa CX framesets touch my tra la la. I saw some kids riding those setup with road wheels at a crit recently.[/quote]

Man, I’ve been so close to buying one several times now. I think that, if I ever get a full-blown cross bike (and not the jury-rigged SS things I ride), it’ll be a Chili Con’Crosso.

I agree with the Performance Bike recommendation. Their 'cross frame is super cheap and looks every bit as good as the offerings by most major manufacturers.

enlighten me?

I think the Trek XO-1’s got fender eyelets, and is relatively light for sure. You’d need some additional eyelets of the strap-on variety for the seatstay mounts of a rack, but that wouldn’t be too tough to rig up.

Hmmm, not sure if they sell just the frame, though.

enlighten me?[/quote]

lol

we’ve already pm’d bout it

:bear:[/quote]

oh dang! I forgot about that.
hmmmmm…