Cyclocross Season 2008 Thread

I know it’s August, but it’s already 60° outside, so I can’t stop thinking about Cyclocross.

I think I’ll be going to the International Cyclocross Festival in Cincinnati, since I’m only a few hours away. Anyone else planning on attending?

I’ve been thinking about this season since last season. Building my Ridley satisfied me for a while, still get to build up my blingy race wheels next week or so. My wife is throwing her hat into the ring this year, she got a F1X that’s one mod away from the pic thread. We attended a skills clinic over the weekend, she picked up the moves pretty well and I reconnected with the bike.

No Cincinnati for me but I am stoked to be going to interbike. Cross Vegas is on top of our to-do list.

I’ll be racing CX geared for the first time the year. First CX race of the season in 17 days!

I’ve raced geared before, but it hardly counted on my 20+ lbs Cross-Check, so I’ve been looking at getting a 2008 Giant TCX. In fact, it’s come down to a new mountain bike or a third 'cross bike (though one is set up for touring and the other for commuting). I’m waiting to hear what the price is going to be for 2009, actually.

What bike are you using this year, DD?

They have an organized CX practice here, but I’ll never make it from work to there in time to ride. I’m going to set up my 'cross bike on Thursday and take it out to some trails for a practice run. Oh, I guess I need to buy some CX tires soon.

I got a K2 Enemy frame. It was a leftover warranty frame through my LBS. I emailed K2 and it turned out the dude there used worked at the LBS I hang at. I built it up with a mix from shit I had laying around.

Sun M19AII rims XT front hub XTR rear etc.

Got a triple on it for the D2R2 but I’m going to run 1X9 for 'cross

I got I nos 9sp 105 Brifter that locks up when upshifting??? No Good for race day.

The bars ended up kind of high but I’m comfortable down in the drops ripping up the single track, The tops feel a tad high so I’d like to get a bar with shallower drops and get the top down.
Maybe a wider bar as well?

I’m not racing this year because I’ve got these damned sciatic nerve issues. I’ll most likely be out watching races and wishing that I was in them though.

That really sucks.

What can you do for it?

Basically wait it out and hope that stuff doesn’t scar up too much. I can still ride, but I’m a little nervous about the whole running up hills/slipping/overworking aspect of racing.

I pretty much have to pretend that I’m an old man until the ass pain is gone, which can take a long time if you keep stressing it.

I am going to race cross for the first time this year. The local weekly Tuesday night cross series starts next week so I am pumped… http://dirtderby.com/

I’ll be hitting up some CX soon too. Tried one crit. It was alright, but a bit stuffy for my tastes. Looking forward to dirt. :bear:

[quote=“crushkilldestroy”]Basically wait it out and hope that stuff doesn’t scar up too much. I can still ride, but I’m a little nervous about the whole running up hills/slipping/overworking aspect of racing.

I pretty much have to pretend that I’m an old man until the ass pain is gone, which can take a long time if you keep stressing it.[/quote]

I sat out a the summer of a mosh pit incident. I marshaled at the races I would have done though. I was a good way to get out and in the scene with like minded people.
Not as much fun as racing but still a lot of fun.

Don’t stress you ass! :colbert:

Who runs with tubulars? I’ve used road tubulars for years but no so long for CX.

So far I’ve run the Vittoria Cross EVO 34mm:

http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net ... oxgtu.html

Ive worn the knobs off two sets commuting through 3 winters. Ive ridden rocky single track and raced on the same set. No flats. I run them as low as 35 psi. The base tape peals up right away. I had one new tire losing the base tape as I was applying the first coat of glue.

Just this month Ive been ridding the Tufo Elite LPS 32mm. Ive been kind of leery of a no tube tubular, so I put the preventive sealant in right away.

It seems put together well. The base tape is bonded well to the casing. The tires feel much more supple (in my hands) then the Vittorias. On the trail they feel great. “Grippy” Railing the turns on hard pack. Their noticeably lighter when accelerating or climbing (placebo effect?)

I did get a puncher in my rear tire during the D2R2 but I had no idea till two days later when I noticed the pressure was low and I found the spot where the sealant did its work.

I think the Vittoras make a good cheep comfy commuter tire they seem unaffected by the glass filled streets in Lawrence Mass. The base tape annoys me though.

The ride and build quality is much better with the Tufos but its clearly a more fragile tire and should not be used on an all purpose wheel.

What do you run? Favorites? Why?

I had a buddy who ran the Tufo Prestiges and loved them. I can’t vouch for durability, but he never complained about it.

I haven’t ever run tubies, but I’m pretty damned fond of my Maxxis Locusts. I’m thinking about getting a set of Hutchinson Bulldogs and playing around with tubeless, but I probably won’t follow through with it.

I’ve got a pair of Tufo Flexus 32’s stretching right now. I haven’t run cross tubies yet but am very much looking forward to being able to run sub 30 psi. They do seem a lot nicer than Tufo’s road tires. I’m considering trying Stan’s no-tubes with Michelin muds on my practice/pit wheel set.

How are you going to stick them?

Patience is key.

Your going to love the ride!

Mastic 1 and about a week I suppose, they’re race day only so I got the time.

What about the rest of you Austin boys? :colbert:

The tape on my Tufos adsorbed a lot of glue (Conti) two coats on the tape. I think I used over 3 tubes.
Not sure though that was a long time ago ( 'bout 2.5 weeks)

I’ve been buying glue by the 12 pack…

No, I’m not doing that with it. It’s for the Tubulars…

Hot or not?

edit: it’s Ti

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... oss_ti.htm

gz_ thats a lot of bike for the $$ but don’t believe the ship date. I’ve got some BD bikes for me as well as some friends and they are a great value. But the ship dates for out of stock items are optimistic at best.