Cyclocross Season 2008 Thread

The BD bike is a killer deal, but probably more bike than most people need. $1700 will buy you a whole lot of bike, if you don’t need it to be made of unobtainium.

I’ve been thinking about which tires to buy, and I think I’m going to splurge and get some Challenge Grifo CX tubulars as soon as I get my next gift card.

[quote=“bonechilling”]
I’ve been thinking about which tires to buy, and I think I’m going to splurge and get some Challenge Grifo CX tubulars as soon as I get my next gift card.[/quote]

I read somewhere, BF Maybe? that there was a bad lot of Grifos around. Have you heard of this? Are you selling many of them?

God no, does anyone outside of Flanders sell a lot of CX tubulars? Maybe in Portland. Hardly anyone buys tires from a shop anymore, they’re always cheaper online, and if you’re looking for Challengers, then you’re probably a pretty educated consumer.

Good to know about the bad Grifos, though. I’ll keep an eye on mine, if I actually pull the trigger on them. I should ask - bad how?

Here’s the thread:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=314098

Seems the tread was pealing.

Its from last year. Might have just been a bad batch.

What about the rest of you Austin boys? :colbert:[/quote]

thinking about it. gonna see what i can fit in the c’dale tire-wise and hit up a couple beginners races. they also have banked track dirt oval racing (sprints, madison, keirin, all in the dirt) which I HAVE GOT TO SEE.

What about the rest of you Austin boys? :colbert:[/quote]
I’m going to do it, as soon as I see what i can fit in the c’dale tire-wise and hit up a couple beginners races. they also have banked track dirt oval racing (sprints, madison, keirin, all in the dirt) which I HAVE GOT TO SEE.[/quote]

Fixed :bear:

:bear:

recommend any small (25-28mm) knobbies?

first race is on the 21st of sept. charm city

i think i have 1 28 somewhere. i can see what it is.

recommend any small (25-28mm) knobbies?[/quote]

I know Tufo makes tubulars down to 28, but I haven’t ever seen a clincher that small.

These run real narrow,

http://www.schwalbetires.com/cx_pro

From the web sight:
" I was able to ride everyday on 700cx30 (actually a those are 700cx28, measured with a caliper). Amazing!"

Panaracer and Conti make some 28mm touring tires that have some tread. They should work well on dry courses.

A friend of mine races fixed with a Cross fork and a 25mm road tire on the back.,

michelin jet is a 30, probably depends on the rim you use
kends kwick also

Old BF thread…

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... hs+269+pro

These come in 28’s: http://www.rei.com/product/709112

I run the 32’s on my commuter and they are quite durable. Heavy, though…

Lookin forward to seeing dirt.

The road tires come off the GT in a week.

I picked up two brand new Vittoria Cross Evo XGs today for $50 (for the pair), so the Grifos are going to have to wait.

[quote=“crushkilldestroy”][quote=“jim”]:bear:

I know Tufo makes tubulars down to 28, but I haven’t ever seen a clincher that small.[/quote]

I ave some 28 kendas… they kinda suck though in terms of both grip and durability.

Well, I was going to start getting serious about getting a road bike after I get this Alien built but a teammate and a few other people have me strongly considering getting a cross bike instead… I just want something I can train plenty on and race cross but also do circuit road races (not interested in crits much yet, track is similar enough that I’d rather focus on that). It’d also be fun to mess around on the singletracks around my college town, I haven’t done pure mountain biking since I was like 13 or 14.

Anyone got some off-the-shelf suggestions for something in the Shimano 105/SRAM Rival/Campy Centaur range? I can for sure get 25% off retail with my team discount and possibly just pay cost if I can land a shop job doing sales.

Edit: just did some searchin’, liking the looks of what Fuji, Felt, Lemond and Jamis have to offer. I think my team shop only carries the last three and Lemond is iffy, can’t remember if they still do business with them…

Pick the bike that fits you best? Dirt riding and racing is great fun.

You NEED a 'cross bike.

[quote=“tarckatina”]Well, I was going to start getting serious about getting a road bike after I get this Alien built but a teammate and a few other people have me strongly considering getting a cross bike instead… I just want something I can train plenty on and race cross but also do circuit road races (not interested in crits much yet, track is similar enough that I’d rather focus on that). It’d also be fun to mess around on the singletracks around my college town, I haven’t done pure mountain biking since I was like 13 or 14.

Anyone got some off-the-shelf suggestions for something in the Shimano 105/SRAM Rival/Campy Centaur range? I can for sure get 25% off retail with my team discount and possibly just pay cost if I can land a shop job doing sales.

Edit: just did some searchin’, liking the looks of what Fuji, Felt, Lemond and Jamis have to offer. I think my team shop only carries the last three and Lemond is iffy, can’t remember if they still do business with them…[/quote]

I’ve heard that the Poprad won’t exist next year. I really like the F1X, but I’ve only ridden it on pavement and haven’t had a chance to play in the dirt with one. The Fuji Cross Comp is the same frame as the Motobecane Fantom Cross, so do a price comparo between the two to see which one ends up cheaper. Don’t know a ton about the Jamis lineup.

That was very cliffs notes, but I’m getting ready for the morning run and I have no idea why I’m on the computer.